ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Have you checked to see what the manufacturer's recommendations are for connecting the box, or seen any similarly equipped fire trucks ?

J
JCooper Offline OP
I am not sure about the y option, we need to make this idiot resistant. I will try giving Meltric a call one day this week to make sure I get the right part.

R
What about some kind of "pin and sleeve" type receptacle and cord cap arrangement that Hubbell, Leviton and crouse hinds make?

A.D

J
If you want "idiot resistant"*, one trick to writing a spec on the Meltric products is that Meltric is the only mfr who's plugs and connectors are UL listed as disconnect devices. All others, including the MIL spec "Cannon" plugs, need to have the power disconnected PRIOR to un-doing the connection.

*There is no such thing as idiot proof, they just make better idiots!

JRaef
jraef #174208 01/29/08 07:38 AM
S
MIL-SPEC aren't UL listed, but that's almost a technicality- they're subject to a far more thorough battery of tests. Using a plug as a disconnect for servicible equipment is standard, as in military applications, you can't always spend time looking for the breaker.

NEC doesn't require UL listing, though, just that that components be "listed"... and then cops out and leaves the definition of "listed" to be whatever the AHJ wants it to be.

D
I have a couple questions? As a fellow nozzle nut why so many circuits for the fire truck? is this a shore line set up? or is it from the onboard genny to a piece of equip?

I made an interlock for our shore line to keep our dewalt batteries charged when plugged in and it switches over to generator power when the truck is being used on scene.

really simple cost about $80

Thanks,

Denny

J
JCooper Offline OP
This is for our outlet box on a cord reel fed from the generator. We have a dedicated 30 amp 240 v for the electric fan, and two 20 amp 120 v for flood lights.

I have to look into how our battery chargers are wired, they charge off the shore line but they also charge when the generator is running. I assume there is some backfeeding going on, which I don't think is a big problem unless the auto-eject fails and the generator is running when you start the truck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard