ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#125142 03/14/07 08:10 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Images and info submitted by Kenbo:

At work a new lift was installed to take food barrows from the cookhouse up one flight of stairs. When I saw what was installed I asked "When will it be finished?" and was promptly told "it is finished".

I was shocked, in Photo 1 the hoist is parked up high. In Photo 2 (high level) that floor is plywood over scaffold planks.

What the photos do not show is that there is room in the hoist for exactly one food barrow. That's OK I hear you say, except that the barrow is steered from the back and you have a dead man's handle attached to the braking system. So when it is lifted to the upper level there is no way a man can get to the back of the trolley to move it off.

Ohh yes and also because it is constructed from scaffolding, it needs to be inspected every week and a safety cert issued, so all the plywood facing needs to come off so each joint can be seen by the inspector.

What else can I say apart from I have been told it is a permanent fixture and needless to say it has never been used in the week it has been up.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

{Message edited for spelling errors}

#125143 03/22/07 04:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
What I fail to see Kenny, is how this thing actually
works.
Is it pulled up and down by a cable or is it worked by pneumatics or hydraulics?.
Seems like a whole lot of odd bits just cobbled together.

{Message edited for spelling errors}

#125144 03/22/07 06:08 PM
Mike, it appears that it doesn't work! laugh

It beggars belief, Ken, that a Government Department should have authorised and built, with taxpayers money, this Heath Robinson / Fred Karno's Circus dumb-waiter* lash up - it's not much more advanced than flinging a bucket and a rope out of the window to haul up your sandwiches, [ apart from the money squandered ], is it? And to have to disassemble it weekly to allow an inspector to examine the scaffolding clamps is absolutely bloody preposterous!!! No wonder the tax hike in the UK now exceeds 42% of ones' gross earnings.

What's wrong with bribing a few trusty inmates with some snout* to carry the food upstairs, on trays*, up some stairs*?

Alan

*snout. Tobacco; UK prison currency.
*tray. A shallow box with handles for carrying stuff.
*stairs. A series of steps arranged at about 42 degrees so folks can safely climb or descend between floors, with minimum effort or hinderance.
*dumb-waiter. An electrician checking the mail daily for his free hat. laugh

Wood work but can't!
#125145 03/23/07 02:29 AM
T

#125146 03/23/07 11:26 AM
K
I am on leave this week so I do not know if our own health and safety guys have looked at this yet.

What I also noticed the other day was that the strapping used to join the plywood together is 1" thick so the contractor used 1.5" wood screws (at least they used screws) rolleyes the scaffold couplings are encroaching into the walkway by about 1" on each side (just enough to hit of the food barrows)

Techie
I do not know for shure but it looks like you could be correct Genie have a UK office

A look at the new building work on going

Alan
*peter:- jail cell
*rubber ear:- not listing
*bolt:- go away
*screw:- prison officer
*Department of employment:- pays the unemployed
*Department of Roads:- incharge of traffic jams
*Department of Fisheries:- incharge of scrap metal

Kenny laugh

der Großvater
techie #173848 01/20/08 08:07 PM
S
Strange, The Genie brochure shows a picture of a Sumner 2118 material lift. Genie do have their own material lift but its not a Sumner.

The dodgy lift is neither. Cant make out what type it is. Doesn't look like a manual crank as the space is limited.

Simon.

PS sorry for bumping old posts back to the top but I'm catching up on a lot of posts I've missed while I've been offline.

Link Copied to Clipboard