ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172950 12/30/07 09:08 PM
What on Earth? I don't know what to make of it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
I would hazard a guess, I would say the 2" is nothing more then a brace or bracket for the overhead. The left mast, not the service mast it getting the strain.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
Is the service mast EMT? that would be why the other pipe is there

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
K
Can't really be sure, but it looks like maybe they goofed and used 1-1/2" or 2" for the service mast and then added the 2-1/2" for the point of attachment.

In my area, the power company requires all service masts used as the point of attachment to be 2-1/2" rigid Galv.

L
--In my area, the power company requires all service masts used as the point of attachment to be 2-1/2" rigid Galv. --

Yup, Most. N-star/Keyspan- whoever they are today.

This guy needs better planning or a bender.
Perhaps the spare is for cable phone etc.

I see no bennefit for support. Same # and size clips etc.
Just buying extra time IMO.

edit: Those compression fittings aren't valid in another 2 days are they?

Last edited by leland; 12/30/07 10:59 PM.
The pre-bends with compression fittings give away the riser as EMT.. Likely a new shop that hasn't invested in a 555 bender yet. If this is in So Cal Edison, PG&E, SDG&E, LADWP or any other So Cal utility territory, I'll bet they refused the EMT as an attatchment point and someone dreamed up the RMC "Pole"

N
That looks like a fairly old Circle AW meter can (current models have a plastic cover over the breaker).All I have to say it's one nasty looking install.:(

E
No doubt that "Tijuana Joe" did the service/mast with EMT, got rejected by the inspector, came up with plan "B" to provide a suitable point of attachment and the rest is history.

As crappy as it looks, there's really nothing illegal about it. NEC doesn't say that service entrance conductors must actually be inside of the mast and I seriously doubt that any POCO would have such a requirement in their construction standards.

One pet-peeve though: I really hate when people use LBs to make a directional change on the same plane instead of a bend or ell. There must be a more professional looking way to do it. It just looks so "Harry Homeowner" when people use LBs like that. Again, just a peeve.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
I think the installer just wanted to provide a nice shelter for all those homeless wasps.

Larry C

L
Originally Posted by LarryC
I think the installer just wanted to provide a nice shelter for all those homeless wasps.

Larry C

LOL..Good point!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard