ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
I am a huge fan of Mike Holt's show. I know that he's a bit particular, so I have to wonder whether what is done on his show is a formal CEC requirement or just his personal preference.

I've never seen his electricians using plastic boxes; they are always metal ones for receptacles and switches. We don't see metal-only much in these parts in new construction (except in the Chicago area).

While we are on the subject, I never see his crews using nails for anything other than trim. They always seem to be using impact screw guns, even for basic stud wall framing. Is that another Canadian requirement or just something that his show's major sponsor (Dewalt) throws in?

Sorry for the simple questions. I have to stay up until 3:00 for a software upgrade that we are doing, I just got done watching a re-run of his show and figured that I would ask these questions while they are fresh in my mind.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
C
Are you talking about Mike Holmes? (Holmes on Holmes?)

Screws aren't required for framing as far as I know (I think it is his personal preference but not just to advertise the Dewalt Impact Drills)

Well the only time I have used plastic boxes is in residential work - 52 suites (loomex). Haven't heard their reasoning about using only metal boxes only.

To Quote the code book
12-3000

(2)Non-metallic outlet boxes shall not be used in wiring methods using metal raceways or armoured or metal-sheathed cable, except where the boxes are provided with bonding connections between all conductor entry openings.

S
We use plastic boxes in new residential http://www.tnb.com/contractor/docs/nutek.pdf
In retrofits, we generally use metal boxes.
Commercial work is always metal boxes.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
C
No to both questions.

L
New resi, I use plastic. Resi OW I use metal, those plastic ones are too bulky and hard to put a nice finish on them.

Commercial: Always metal, even sheetrocked office areas.

S
Great TV show, but Mr Holmes tends to "overkill" his projects. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. But when you have millions of viewers watching, and somebody else writing the cheques for labour and materials, can you blame him?

R
Yes... I agree Sandro. One of the complaints I have with the show is... its easy to fix things by ripping it all out and starting over. But how many of the average home owner can do that? I'd wager not many could do it the way they do.

The show would offer more to the average Joe if they spent some time explaining how to fix what's found, not how to rip & tear and rebuild everything from scratch.

C
Well said Rick. I agree with you.

That's the only gripe I have with Holmes on Homes. Only real exceptions are the REALLY bad houses he does.

Hidden junction boxes can be a pain though.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Link Copied to Clipboard