ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
I only use crimp sleeves for grounding. Two sizes.
I use Ideal mainly due to what is available. I haven't seen Buchanan crimps around here in a while.

As was stated, Ideal (and others) list a typical lineman's pliers WITH the built-in crimper as an approved tool.

I do have a like-new Buchanan 4-way crimper but hardly ever use it.
No, I don't want to sell it. wink

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
S
Actually I do know Buchanan DOES list a lineman's as an approved tool.
Here is a scan of two boxes' instructions:
[Linked Image from i114.photobucket.com]

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
Speedy, Ideal bought Buchanan, the barrels from Buchanan are still copper, the ones from Ideal are something else. but you already knew that.:)

Tom
K
KJay Offline OP
Well, that is good news. Ideal must have made some changes for the Buchanan's some time ago.
I guess now, after all these years, I can finally retire both pair of my C24 crimpers and join the plier squeezers without guilt. smile

S
I can assure you. With the steel crimps especially, using a lineman's (with the crimper) makes JUST as good of a crimp as a 4-way.

Make one properly and try to remove it. You'll see what I mean.

Speedy Petey

G
I see the problem. The guy I busted had not twisted the wires. This was a "Park Ranger" job so I am not sure who the "electrician" was. They put wirenuts on all the splices before I left and all was well with the world. They did just squeeze the crimped splice on the long side and they fell off.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard