ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172417 12/19/07 09:12 AM
H
HEI_Inc Offline OP
We just finished installing a 400amp 1phase multi-meter service on an industrial condo storage building. ConEd called to confirm some information and during the conversation ConEd said "3phase" and I said single.

Now, ConEd is saying they may have to change the transformer out to a larger unit due to the imbalance caused by single phase. If this needs to be done, it would be charged back to the building owenr. ConEd said their documentation stated the building would have 3phase power, not single.

My drawings called out single phase. I wanted to install a larger service and 3phase but the customer declined.

H
HEI_Inc Offline OP
Update, just received a phone call from ConEd. They are requiring the customer to change his service to 3phase. This means pulling out the 200' run of 3/500mcm wires and pulling in 4/500mcm wires and changing the service gear.

Someone's going to be upset today....

A
Her in Pa we send in a Service and Meter App, before POCO will even answer a phone call. I am going to assume it is the same in Illinois

Did you personaly send in the App? Do you have a copy of it?

Phase should be checked on the App. If your copy says it's 1 phase. Your ass should be covered. But.... if it is not clear than you are replacing the service I am afraid

G
Here in ComEd territory I designed a 1200Amp service and the ComEd guy showed up with a work order that said 1-200Amp service.

That was another fun day...

Ghost307
H
HEI_Inc Offline OP
I didn't submit any paperwork regarding the service. A few weeks ago I had a conversation with the same ConEd rep. and informed him at that time the service was single phase. It must not have registered with him at that time.

The rep. did say all we had to do was pull another 500mcm into the pipe past the existing three......

A
So no paper work is submitted at any time? You just call the POCO and say we need a service and they say "ok, we'll be out to hook it up"

Sounds fishy to me.

S
There is no paperwork on a service that size?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
"Pull another 500mcm"? What size conduit? No easy task. Your going to have to pull all the wire out and then pull the extra wire back in. I hope you have not made any connections yet! I would get that guy's (POCO) supervisor or his supervisor and explain that it is his fault, not yours. Fight buddy. You said single phase to the POCO rep.
I don't understand how a project of this size would not have some kind of paper trail. Find the proof. He had to have made a report when he was there. Look at your records too.

S
Always remember, If it is not documented, is did not happen. POCO's wear teflon underwear so nothing sticks.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 12/19/07 11:56 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
Heck, here even a 200A resi upgrade needs to go to a "designer". It only gets worse if you need to have the socket moved. They also want to see a load calculation.

Makes it hard to do a load calculation when the HVAC hasn't been spec'd yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard