ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 251 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
ayrton Offline OP
Does anybody know the formula for calculating energy savings from switching Magnetic ballasts and lamps, over to electronic ballasts and lamps for 2x4 lay in troffers.

For arguments sake, lets say 4 lamp fixture w/ 34 or 40w lamps magnetic

And 4 lamps 32 watts electronic

S
raob x volts x nof - ranb x volts x nof

where:

raob - rated amps of old ballast
volts - duh
nof - number of fixtures
ranb - rated amps of new ballast

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
L
How about the reduction in heat generated?

S
If it is a massive building then yes you could figure it in. I might have info on that. I will see If I can locate it. Living in AK, you do not really think of that since we only use AC in our IT rooms. Most buildings I deal with are for the most part are well insulated Any heat loss form the lights that is picked up by the heating systems would me insignicant.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 12/15/07 03:20 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Cat Servant
Let me put it this way .... when I converted an office building from T-12's with conventional ballasts, to T'8's with electronic ballasts .... the math gave me a very conservative number! IIRC, I was expecting savings of about $250/ month .... while the actual saving was nearly $400/mo.

Actual amp readings, before and after, showed about a 35% reduction in current drawn. This is not considering the lesser load on the air conditioning, due to the lower operating temperature.

I was changing things 'bulb for bulb.' If you are replacing 4 lamp fixtures with 3 lamp fixtures, expect further savings.

A
ayrton Offline OP
I was thinking more of this formula

# of luminares x total W per luminare x Annual operating hrs x Energy cost per KWH= First year energy cost/1000

Knowing amperage is not accurate enough. There is input amps and out put amps. Example, a 400w MH fixture has a total input of about 465W Amperage on ballast is not accurate in my experience. Need to measure True Power (watts)

Last edited by ayrton; 12/16/07 01:52 PM.
J

Link Copied to Clipboard