ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Originally Posted by frank
No trying to argue but a short course engineered to pass a specific exam does not an electrican make.
This makes it easy for one to pass themselves off as a sparky even if they are not.
The public sees a master ticket as qualified in the trade and it is not a qualification at all.
I know for a fact non qualified people are passing themselves of as electricians as a result.
I have no problem with the idea but the word "master" infers qualified
guess we have to agree to disagree on this one
cheers

Very interesting point of view Frank, and I never looked at it that way and I have to say I totally agree!!! Because an engineer or electrical technologist can write the masters, he could very well come across to someone as a licensed electrician!! I don't agree with this. They should have a different title. These people are not leagally allowed to do electrical installations without a trade certificate. They can only plan out jobs, as well as be responsible for the H&S legalities. There are other entitelments too but that is not the root of this discussion.
I just wrote the Masters exam last Saturday. It was tricky but I feel that I did OK. Lets say it will be a long 15 day for the results!!!!! I found the course usefull, but if your really good with codes and you know the OSHA book, employments standards act and WSIB fairly well, you shouldn't need to take the prep course. I am hoping to be highly wanted after this. This will add to my 309a, 442a, and plc programming experience. It is good to be an electrician these days and I am sure we could all agree on that!

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
H
yes i am an electrician and thinking of going into business but since i dont live near any cities an online course is really my only option other than challengng the exam but it would be nice to know the occupational health and safety stuff and the workmans comp and all that good stuff ahead of time Id rather spend money on an online course if there is one and be assured i will pass

J
I don't think there is any way to bypass the exam. You also must have 3 years of documented experience.

http://www.esaecra.info/site/005a.php?s=11

N
Actually I tend to agree with frank. As a holder of both C of Q and a Master's License, one would infer that a Master if qualified to do electrical work. But that is far from the caseā€¦at least for Ontario anyway.

But then again, you need to be an EC to get a permit for inspection, so even if you are qualified to work in the province you can't get your work inspected anyway...

Cheers

Navyguy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard