ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 433 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#17183 11/23/02 10:29 AM
R
Ron Offline
For this application we are dealing with Diagram #1. I believe that the generator case should be connected to the GEC per NEC 250.34(A).

Ron
#17184 11/23/02 11:00 AM
E
Ron,
It is quite possible that you are correct if there have been changes in the 2002 NEC.

The following is a quote from an issue of the newsletter called "Electrical Currents" published by the office of the Chief Electrical Inspector, US Dept of Labor.
(I believe it refers to the '99 NEC. The emphasis is mine)

(Quote) "Ground rods at generators-
A premises wiring system whose power is derived from a generator and the generator has no direct electrical connection, including a solidly connected grounded circuit conductor (neutral), to supply conductors originating in another system, must be grounded as specified in Section 250-26. This requires a bonding jumper to connect the equipment grounding conductors to the grounded conductor and a grounding electrode conductor to connect the grounded conductors to a grounding electrode. This is a separately derived system, and a grounding electrode system must be properly established at the generator location.

NEC 250-5 (FPN No. 1) states: "An alternate alternating-current power source such as an on-site generator is not a separately derived system if the neutral is solidly interconnected to a service-supplied system neutral." The most common example of this is an on-site generator installed as a backup source of power. This is the type that
would employ a transfer switch to transfer utility and generator power. The transfer switch does not break the connection between the generator neutral and the utility grounded circuit conductor (neutral). The generator is required to have an equipment grounding conductor to ground any exposed noncurrent-carrying metal parts. This
equipment ground must be a type specified in NEC 250-91(b) and run from the normal system ground to the generator frame. It should be noted that a supplementary grounding electrode at the generator location is allowed under NEC 250-91(c). A grounding electrode is not required by the NEC, but could be recommended by the generator manufacturer." (End quote)

Ed

#17185 11/23/02 04:47 PM
D
I spoke with the Coleman people, and have ordered a new prewired bell-housing which will allow me to simply replace the oulets I have now with a 4 prong Twistlock 220v and a regular 110v. The whole housing simply connects via a snap-on wiring harness.
Then it sounds like we'll be up to code as far as having a separate ground and neutral.
And as far as I understand this thread, i will not need to connect the generator to a separate ground rod when using it through my transfer switch since the neutral is not switched.

#17186 11/24/02 09:24 AM
R
Ron Offline
I'm not suggesting another grounding electrode, just a grounding electrode conductor and it interconnection with the existing grounding electrode system. Just driving a rod for the gen. would require it also to be connected to the existing grounding electrode system anyway.
BTW, great graphics!

Ron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard