ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 92 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170118 10/27/07 12:24 AM
Niko Offline OP
I am starting to offer more residential generator installation and am somewhat familiar with Winco and Onan. But would like to get your ideas on generators on general. What is a good brand, what i should watch out for and ...

Thanks.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

M
I am a dealer for Kohler, they have a great product, & even better support.

L
As a former generator repair technician, I dislike the Generac brand. Onan, Kohler, Winco are all good machines. Please remember to leave access around the machine for maintenance.

Larry

Cat Servant
I've installed Caterpillar, Onan, and Cumins .... all without a hitch.

I've heard too many bad things about Generac ... and have been through two of their extremely aggressive sales campaigns. It seems to me that they put their efforts into sales, at the expense of the product.

Have had no issues with Kohler, Cat, onan & Cumins. Winco had a very bad factory service/repair issue. Have not had the pleasure or pain of any others.

BTW, worked with Kohler at '05 PGA Championship....had only one (1) issue with a cooling fan blade failure on a 1 meg unit. We had approx 55 units on site.

John
W
Avoid the Generac Guardian series. No factory support, over agressive sales, sub-standard units(IMHO). Generac commercial units seem to be decent units, have been installing some on cell sites for back up power. Most are 60kw units with 5 cyl Turbocharged John Deere diesel engines.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
I had a terrible experience with Onan Residential line. Lots of promises and no deliver. The unit was top notch and customer was happy (mostly because I took the blunt of the crap and dealt with it) The salesman would do anything to sell a unit. I have had nothing but good experiences with Kohler. Price was a tad more but I feel worth every penny.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
F
Onan [ Cummins ] , Kohler , Catapiller those unit i dont have much isuse at all they work good for me and part and servce is very good to me.

otherhand the Generarc i am not thrilled with their service for resdental line but commercal line is kinda ok but deal with warranty etc i will not get into the details with this..

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Niko Offline OP
Thank you all for your input.

It makes a difference when the end user or the installer comments about a product VS the manufacturer's rep.

Thanks again.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
I always say that you should multiple any salesman's claims by .25

Ghost307

Link Copied to Clipboard