ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169731 10/13/07 08:28 PM
H
I need an underground locator, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
highground

G
Take a look at this company. They have every kind of measuring device known to man. I bought a phase rotation meter last week from them. I received the catalog in the mail when I signed up for electrical contractor magazine. They have all sorts of underground locators. A nice link to check out.

http://www.mitchellinstrument.net/

Brian Gibbons
Z
What exactly are you locating? The company gibbons listed is a great place to look for a variety of tracers and testing equipment, but I have a little $200 in-ground tracer that has served me pretty well for years and is great for up to 3' deep.

The brand is Tempo and the model is a 508S. I bought mine at a CED, but I've also seen them at Walter's Electric out here in Cali.

Here's a link to an online retailer:

http://www.valuetesters.com/Tempo-508S-Circuit-Tracer-Wire-Finder.php

It's cheap and I wouldn't bet on it for anything that I couldn't double check or verify, but it's great to have around and I'm not terrified at leaving it in my truck 24/7 because it may get stolen (my other tracers and test equipment that cost me more than $1,000 each stay at the shop until I need them). It's nice to have on a moments notice, and it's takes up very little space.

Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard