ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#169429 10/04/07 09:24 PM
Cat Servant
From Ian, TheElectricKid:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Ian, how do you get these old signals? That one doesn't even look that old.

A
BrianP, Ian is one of our younger members so I guess "old" is a relative term - I was thinking it looked quite new myself.

It's from about the 1970s-80s, poly, probably ripped down so a new LED-equipped model could go up. The funny part is how this and every other eBay-listed traffic light is wired. I didn't buy or even bid on the signal, as I have too many now. (19 going on 20!)

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
B
Oh, so you can buy them on eBay. Of course.

Around here, they often replace individual lamps with LED modules. It's not uncommon to see a signal with red LEDs but incandescent for the green and amber.

What do you do with your collection?

F
the other thing about i did noticed about the traffic signal wiring color connections they are not the same as our normal wiring connections they will get ya if not carefully with this

i know red wire for red light yellow wire for yellow light and green wire for green light white useally used for common but i think either brown or black for arrow sign but not sure i think there is one forum that dealt with traffic light but if i find few more i will add the link in here

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

E
Same here. Usually, it's whatever light stays on the longest that gets the LED retrofits. I agree that the IMSA wiring colors can certainly get you in trouble if you make any assumptions.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
S
Originally Posted by BrianP
Oh, so you can buy them on eBay. Of course.

Around here, they often replace individual lamps with LED modules. It's not uncommon to see a signal with red LEDs but incandescent for the green and amber.

Correct. When New York City changed incandecent bulbs in traffic lights for the LEDs, they were using these modules that replaced the lamp assembly. But the housings stayed the same.

The modules would get fitted whenever the traffic light required relamping. It's probably easier than having to take down that entire heavy monster and then mount a new one and resplice the wires. cool

the other thing about i did noticed about the traffic signal wiring color connections they are not the same as our normal wiring connections they will get ya if not carefully with this

Yep, green is not a ground when it comes to traffic lights.

https://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c266/Macsignals/Signal%20Room%20and%20Signals/

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
green is not a ground when it comes to traffic lights.

Green is supposed to be the equipment grounding conductor.

They just have had a heck of a time convincing the people that wire the signals that it's not for "GO"..

The IMSA (International Municipal Signal Association) does not recognize green as anything other than an equipment ground, and they write the standards adopted by almost everybody around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard