ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169095 09/25/07 10:58 AM
E
Has anyone used their Simpull THHN yet? I watched the video a few weeks ago and actually got to work with it yesterday. It's really nice stuff and it does what they say it does; pull without the need for cable pulling lubricants. It surely goes against everything that I have ever learned, that's for sure.

The project that I was on was one where four sets of 750's were being pulled. It wasn't a terribly complicated pull (about 250' with only two 90's and a 45), but it flew right in. What's really nice about Simpull is that it comes in all standard colors, so there's no more taping for identification, which saves a lot of time and reduces the risk of crossing phases to zero.

I sure do like it. I wonder if it's more expensive than traditional black THHN?

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
ED:
No I have not used it.
A side note on this thou....
The isulation identification on the jacket created a situation. THe 'SimPull THHN' is nice and clear and big; but I had to find the THWN designation! (Underground run)

Factory eng said..'it's on the back side'. I went back to the job, and looked again; didn't see it. Looked one more time...YES, it's there....faint ink jet dot type print. That was one happy EC.

BTW, I thought it was odd that Southwire would make a straight THHN insulation, but I have to see the THWN.

John
W
I did a job with it about a month ago. Pull was about 85 feet with 2 90s and a 4 inch offset. Pulled in 4 3/0 thhn in a 2 inch pipe, the wire slid in like it was on ice. I like the new jacket!!

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
M
Hotline1...
So the THHN was stamped/molded in the jacket and the THWN was ink-jet printed on the outside?

Maybe it is that they make THHN first then to make it THHN/THWN they add the clear overcoat plastic on the outside to add the water resistance?

I haven't used this stuff yet, but I know the new "slicker" NM-B sure pulls thru studs easier...

Last edited by Mike Wescoatt; 09/28/07 09:41 AM.

Mike Wescoatt
This sounds like the new Cat-5 wire here, it has what is described on the box as a Teflon coating.
It really makes pulling the wire a lot easier.

Mike:
No....THe 'THHN SimPull' is printed in large, easy to see/read white lettering on one 'face' of the conductor, which lead me to believe that it was ONLY 'THHN' insulation.

Factory Engineer said '...the THWN rating is on the backside'. The 'THWN' is on the backside, but it's in a dot matrix type pring, faint, and very hard to read.

My point was and is....why not use the same lettering and print color for all the info? Does SimPull THHN/THWN sound all that bad??

Bottom line from the factory was 'the bold THHN SimPull is to help the supply houses'

John

Link Copied to Clipboard