ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167903 08/22/07 12:53 PM
F
frank Offline OP
I had to trace a circuit today and found that the tracer was registering in four different branch panels.What would be the cause?
thanks

Last edited by frank; 08/22/07 12:55 PM.
frank #167904 08/22/07 01:09 PM
Frank,
Depending on the type of tester you are using you may need to turn down the sensitivity of the tester to find out which panel/breaker is feeding your circuit.

If the panels share a common transformer, they'll often read right through the system on a high sensitivity setting.

What kind of tester are you using??

electure #167918 08/22/07 11:44 PM
F
frank Offline OP
Sorry that was vague.This may be worse.
I have a three phase 208,120 volt branch panel LE-GB4 where breakers #33 and #2 both signal at the finest setting.At the course setting the tracer also only signals around these two breakers.The same is happening in another branch panel LE-GB2 but with only one breaker.Both branch panels are fed from the same power panel.
We just had new power panels Installed and they had opened and closed the distribution breaker up steam of the old power panels many times during plant shutdowns with no problems.Now anything plugged in to these circuits burn up from a surge as soon as the distribution breaker is closed.(i know they could open the branch panel breakers)
Since this is part of the emergency standby system we think it may happen on a power failure.I have installed some blue Hubble surge suppression 4-plex receptacles for now and it may hide the problem but not fix it.
thanks

frank #167926 08/23/07 09:35 AM
W
Loose or high resistance neutral. Check ALL neutral and bonding jumpers, both in the distribution & branch panels. Also neutrals on the affected ckt, a loose or bad shared neutral on a 120/208 ckt will surely cause problems like this. Also look for a grounded neutral on a ckt. If you close a main breaker and there is a poor or undersized neutral, but also a ckt with a neutral to ground short, when the inrush current is present as the main is closed, it will try to get a ground (neutral) at the lowest resistance point. This can be the neutral to ground point. (and may be thru the affected equipment) Robert

Link Copied to Clipboard