ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#167712 08/18/07 01:50 PM
I get calls from customers that dont like there bathroom fans running 24/7

I dont do new construction so I am not aware of what the norm is for these .

I know they can be interlocked with the furnace fan
or just hooked up to a lighting circuit and no switch
or a timer installed in the bathroom where the fan must run 8 hours in a 24 hour period.

would spec homes just be hooked into a live circuit and left running 24/7?

customers calls to complain and I have to tell them that we just cant have a switch installed as it isn't compliant with the building code.

Why do people repluse when i mention I need a permit to alter anywiring in a home.

then they call some handyman from the newspaper or were ever.

dougwells #167725 08/18/07 07:56 PM
S
Doug our code states for new homes that one fan (must be low sone) be interlocked with the furnace fan. A timer is set up by the furnace, where it will turn on both the fan and furnace fan (at low speed) twice a day for 4 hours each time. Other fans can just be hooked up to a switch. Check your local building codes.

They used to wire them using a dehumidistat but that was changed a few years ago. Never heard of a fan being connected directly with no switch. Look around for a dehumidistat - they were usually placed in a hallway outside the bathroom.

As for permits for every job, it's just a cash grab by the BC Safety Authority.....which is supposedly "NON PROFIT" (cough - bs - cough). I guess what they want is handymen doing the smaller jobs.....forcing us to take permits out for every job no matter how small is causing just that.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #167733 08/18/07 10:27 PM
J
I agree - by having a TQ should give you enough credentials to do work up to a certain job cost without a permit, but if the homeowner wants to let joe fix-it do wiring then dont walk, RUN away from that customer.

By the way sixer, what jurisdiction are you in? You mention BCSA, my area, but I havent heard about the furnace interlock.

jay8 #167736 08/19/07 12:10 AM
S
Kootenays here. The furnace interlock is a local building code issue, not electrical code.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"

Link Copied to Clipboard