ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I started installing the JUNO low profile fluorescent fixtures VS GE low profile. It provides better lighting.

http://www.lightology.com/index.cfm...t-UNDERCABINET/szdept_label-Undercabinet

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

H
I like the Kichler Xenon U/C lights. They are wired as line voltage, but are actually low voltage. The transformer in inside the fixture. They have a built-in switch to turn them to high, low, or off. I rough in the wires at 41" below the ceiling and the cabinet installers drill the botton rear rail of the cabinet. My customers love them because they give off a nice light and they can select the brightness on each light individually.
http://www.kichler.com/portal/consumer/products/detail/10581WH

J
Here is a very simplified installation showing Seagull Ambiance lighting. It does not show the power to or from the switch. Also a Chapter 3 method would extend the LV output thru the walls until outside the cabinets.

http://www.seagulllighting.com/products/PDFs/AML-2122-1.pdf

Last edited by Jim M; 08/02/07 09:32 PM. Reason: added link
L
Just want to say thanks again guys. I've got a wealth of information on this now. I appreciate it, up to now the H/O is very pleased with my work so this should be the icing on the cake. grin

much abliged

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

D
I like the Counter Attack line from CSL Lighting (CAX series - xenon)

It is line voltage - if you are adding dimmers, it is cheaper to go this route, rather than low voltage.

www.csllighting.com

or Nora Lighting has some affordable "clip light" style fixtures

http://www.noralighting.com/cgi-bin/display2frames.pl?file=accent-decolume&pageno=1

N
I second the seagull ambiance lighting. I install this product on a regular basis. It is top notch and about the neatest and safest one out there if installed correctly. ie 12/2 romex in the walls for you lv switch legs up from the transformer. i place my transformer either in the basement or attic, never in the cabinets as some do. i then feed my transformer with 14/2 or 12/2 (depending on load as well as i make mine a deadicated circuit) from a dimmer switch to the transformer. i make a junction box next to the tranformer usually 1900 or 2100 and run all my 12/2 legs from here up to each cabinet corner. i will then make my connection from the transformer to the junction box with a small piece of nm seal tite. depending on how many 12's i got i will up size my switch feed from the transformer to the j box to 10 wire. i keep all my track 3/4 of a inch off the edge of the cabinets(i will usually just use a starter block as a jig when i secure all my track.

Last edited by NJ Wireman; 08/08/07 01:47 PM.
B
Just wanted to drag this post up again as I just tried some American Lighting Xenon line voltage fixtures. They were great, plenty of wiring space, they look good, and they are real affordable. Probably the only drawback is they are almost 1.5" thick, but not really an issue if the cabinets have a lip. You can't see them unless you stoop down. They also have a hi-lo rocker switch. I like the line voltage lighting for ease of dimming and no transformers to mess with.
Oh and I almost forgot, my customer loved them.

Last edited by BigB; 09/27/07 08:39 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard