ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ITO #166800 07/28/07 11:26 PM
T
Originally Posted by ITO
How do you handle the jobs that go in the crapper?

So far I've not done anything negative. I analyze the job and go over it with them and encourage. I remind them that they blew an opportunity to make some money etc. Some people are motivated, some could care less and just want a check. Those don't hang around long.

Originally Posted by ITO
How do you handle a job that lasts for years?
I don't do such jobs. Our largest jobs only run maybe six months.

Originally Posted by ITO
How do you handle labor that finds out the job is in the hole?
What do you mean? Trying to beg off the job? They work where I need them.

Originally Posted by ITO
How do you handle labor that is fired or quits halfway through the job?
If they are fired or quit I keep the bonus.

I don't have all the answers. I am leaning towards cutting their pay for losing jobs according to their time on the job. The same formula that is applied when they win. I suspect that would do more harm than good but I'm not totally opposed to it. It just hasn't been a real issue yet. When I determine I've got a guy with a production/attitude problem, I replace him, after giving him motivational talks first. If he doesn't improve after a few talks he's a goner. Sooner if he's got an attitude problem.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
teester #166809 07/29/07 09:37 AM
I
ITO Offline OP
I don't have answers either, and was just looking for some.

101° Rx = + /_\
ITO #166953 08/02/07 12:20 PM
I had a great boss several years ago, he gave us a fixed bonus to start at christmas and doubled it every year. As employees we'd already survived the cull rate and proven our worth - he was with the crew on every job and promoted a strong drive to knock it out and keep moving. my bonus if I had stayed with him ten years would have been 40,000. I believe he would have kept his word too.
I would have been happy knowing I would get $600 every year (Kicking myself for not staying but at the time I found him overstepping and trying to manage our personal lives too including telling me that my wife was holding me back in my work life the damn shame is I quit but he was right)
I'd say don't play favorites, issue a fair bonus if any, and put a "bonus gripe department" sign on a shop door that leads to the alley
a bonus is a gift -performance based- but a gift. never let them forget that.

Samurai #166965 08/02/07 08:00 PM
W
I have been thinking of making the hourly rate a little less then the norm with a system similar to teester. This way there is a double incentive to get the bonus.

Last edited by Wireless; 08/02/07 08:01 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard