ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16685 11/15/02 10:35 AM
S
I have a customer who has a car lot that seems to be always getting "burglarized". He has put up cameras, barbwire fense, lights around his business, and did have a dog, but they seem to still get by. They were caught on camera the last time, but the images were not clear enough to identify them. I was thinking that if some sort of system with infrared recievers and transmitters on the inside of each fense location that were taken to a relay inside the building that would trigger an alarm, etc. and also auto dial the police or his home phone, it might deter some of his thiefs. ( Maybe wire it to a sound device that sounds like machine gun fire too [Linked Image] Any input to where I might find the transmitters and recievers, information, etc. that would help me out? The length of the fence all around his property is probably 1000 ft. or more, so I might would have to set several switches to protect the entire boundary. I'm not sure about the distance that infrared switches can detect to... Any help would be appreciated...I would like to at least give the burglar a real good scare...Oh yes, I guess it would have to be place at a spot and in a place, where it would be hard to recognize.... [Linked Image]

R
Why not electrify the fence? (LOL)

How about rigging something up using motion sensing light fixtures (sorry, luminaires), but use a relay instead of lamps, and turn on whatever you what to, a siren, other lights, sound system (I like the idea of machinegun fire) or a call to the police(don't like this last item, ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?)

Low tech, taller fences, more lights, more police patrols,( or more money to local mafia, for protection?) How about moving to a crime free location?

Rick Miell

S
Thought about electrifying the fense with D.C current or whatever it is in cow pastures, but I'm not sure about doing that in the city, about local codes. That would definitly make them think the next time [Linked Image]

S
By the way, can a "dc" supply be put to a fence:confused?? Usually they're on 2 separate wires, right? positive and negative? Maybe the fence can be positive and the ground negative [Linked Image] just kidding [Linked Image]

A
im intrigued.......what happened to the dog?
did they steal that to?

A
actually i just thought of something, are the thieves stealing the cars or are they removing parts from the cars. if they are taking the cars then your client could go out and buy some wheel clamps. if they are stripping the cars then id say you would be better off with the 'lots of lites and sirens' approach.
i like the machine gun idea to , with a bit of thought and some spare time you could come up with a wonderfull symphoney of sounds .
also , has he/you contacted an alarm company for advise?

S
The dog didn't make it. He was pretty mean and got loose one day, and I think he might have bit someone( not the thief ) [Linked Image] I think they had to put him to sleep. As far as referring to an alarm company, yes, I'm waiting for their reply. Right now I'm trying to figure something out, so I can approach the customer. I use to work at an area hospital, and in their MIS Dept., they had an alarm that would go off that would say something like: DANGER, DANGER, YOU HAVE ILLEGALLY ENTERED A UNAUTHORIZED AREA..LEAVE IMMEDIATELY...etc. etc. I've looked on the net, and can't seem to find any "audio scare tactic alarms" yet. It would be nice to have something like I've stated, then have a 5 second delay, THEN THE AUTOMATIC MACHINE GUN FIRE [Linked Image] And by the way they have gotten parts mostly off the cars, but one time they did try to steal a car, and the lot owner chased them up to a local gas station and from what I heard really had a show down [Linked Image]

S
Had another thought [Linked Image] Could have the fence wired in different zones, then have different "noise effects" out in the lot, that after the machine gun starts firing, it will trigger noise effects in the zone the thief is, that sounds like bullets richocheing off the surrounding cars [Linked Image] Hey, I might go into the alarm specialty design business. Sounds like fun [Linked Image]

M
mj Offline
a stake-out armed with a 12. gauge will do the trick, if you dont want it to be fatal, take the lead out of the shell and replace them with dry peas and fat-back meat...get him....

G
There are beams you can install. You can get them for long ranges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard