ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I'm a consultant who specializes in industrial hygiene issues; no expert in electrical safety at all.

I have a client who has a LO/TO program which is in woeful shape. I'm giving them some advice about getting up to speed, and one of the issues that I raised was the lack of labeling (with regard to purpose) they have on their electrical disconnects. Talked to them about it.

Someone raised the issue that this requirement [29 CFR 1910.303 (f)] doesn't apply to circuit breakers. I disagree, at least from a safety perspective.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Appreciate the advice greatly.

--Patti Ann

Tom Offline
"Disconnecting means- A device or group of devices or other means by which the conductors of a circuit can be disconnected from their source of supply." Sounds just like what a circuit breaker can do.

"110.22 Each disconnecting means shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident."

If I inspect a service & the branch circuits are connected (new construction only) and the panel schedule isn't filled out, you get a red sticker & get to write me another check when I come back.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 11-14-2002).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
N
The circuit directory in the panel is to show what circuit breaker controls which circuit and some what the circuit's location or area. It may not be enough for LOTO. Any thing that requires LOTO should have a disconnecting means in sight of it. There are exceptions. The circuit directory is only a place to start for LOTO. Some times turning off a breaker and locking it out will not be possible because of other loads on that circuit.
Please advise your client to have a licensed electrician help him set up the electrical portion of his LOTO program.

ed
S
Patti,

You are 100% correct in your take on the topic. if the breakers are being utilized at isolation devices in their LOTO program then they must be labeled to aid in assuring the correct breaker is used.

Bryan Haywood www.SAFTENG.net

P.S. There are some good accident photos resulting from improper or non-existent LOTO at my site. They are GRAPHIC, but they demonstrate what can and will most likely happen if LOTO is not done DEFECT FREE 100% of the time.

Link Copied to Clipboard