ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 464 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
ITO Offline
Seriously does anyone here not lock up their copper?

What about wire you have installed on a job?
How do you lock up copper feeders pulled in conduit from a gutter to a panel can?

One of my favorite competitors had about $30,000 worth of 750mcm stolen last year right out of the pipe. What they could not pull out they cut the tails off. He suspects his own labor, but it could have been anyone on the job.

I had a shipping container broken into last year too; all it had in it was scrap from the job and some very expensive fiber optic cable. They took it all. Yeah locks keep honest people honest, because crooks just use a torch and cut the bars right off. The real bummer came when the place I rented the container from billed me for repairs.

Selling copper should be no different than a pawn shop, ID should be required. A check or voucher for the money would be good too.

101° Rx = + /_\
J
JJM Offline
One of my favorite competitors had about $30,000 worth of 750mcm stolen last year right out of the pipe. What they could not pull out they cut the tails off. He suspects his own labor, but it could have been anyone on the job.

OUCH!!! That hurts!

I agree that had to be his own employees, because you're not getting out THAT amount of cable without a really good tugger. Can you picture a few guys trying to pull 750MCM out by hand? Now that would make for a hilarious video!

I'm beginning to wonder if the solution for at the least for "big time" copper theft like this is simply aluminum. Our aluminum can deposit is probably greater than the scrap value of the can itself, and you see aluminum can litter all over.

Joe

E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by JJM
Can you picture a few guys trying to pull 750MCM out by hand? Now that would make for a hilarious video!

Striaght shot - no problem! In or through an LB or more than 2 bends - now that would be funny....

Anyway - I think I have the perfect solution - "Wireless power" wink

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
Originally Posted by ITO
..... What about wire you have installed on a job?
How do you lock up copper feeders pulled in conduit from a gutter to a panel can?

I have the following clause in my contract which covers this. "Once the materials have been installed they become an integral part of the premises, therefore the Customer shall be responsible for any cases of damage or theft that occurs to installed materials."

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard