ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#164988 06/16/07 12:53 AM
do floor outlets have to have a cover which covers the recptacle? where is code reference? i have always used brass fancy covers or weather proof (cheap version) but wonder if it is required...could a plastic plate cover be code complient?
thanks,
H20

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
If you can find one listed for that use, but if you are thinking regular plastic duplex cover plate I doubt you will find a listed one. Carlon round plastic floor boxes have listed plastic covers for receptacle outlets but the listed plastic covers are round, resemble the brass ones, except they do not have hinged snap covers for the receptacle openings like the brass ones do. You unscrew and remove the opening cover, which is why I use the brass ones.

Cat Servant
Do we really need the code to spell out every detail? How about just a general principle like "use the right stuff - and stop trying to take short cuts?"

Let's look at the very beginning of the code, 110.3. It says that in judging equipment, you'll consider the suitability for the use, the mechanical strength, etc.

Sure, everyone might have a different opinion. To bring some sense to this, testing labs were created, and they developed so standards that they apply.

Take your floor outlet, for instance. Is it likely to be stepped on? Passed over with a mop? Well, the folks at the testing labs have come up with tests that simulate these things. The whole idea is to create products that perform in a reasonable safe manner.

Can you 're-invent the wheel?' Sure. But why not save your efforts for new challenges ... and just use stuff that has already been evaluated by others?

S
I agree with reno as i usually do. The heck with saveing a buck. The right stuff for the rigght job regaurdless of cost. Its a outlet exposed to water. The right cover and box. Who cares about a lousy couple off bucks. Done right the first time never go back.

G
I understand why they have floor outlets but I have never been comfortable with them. You sure have to plan on them getting wet if you mop or even spill something. Those brass plates may be expensive and they will keep the big chunks of dirt out but they are certainly not waterproof. I think of the brass as a grounding device, similar in function to what you have in 680.26. There may be a puddle in and over the plate but hopefully it will be at ground potential until the O/C device opens.
In one of our projects (Rookery Bay Nature center) I "suggested" and got GFCI protection on the floor outlets, based on the risk of flood. Fortunately the customer/builder was concerned too and was looking for guidance.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #165072 06/17/07 05:27 PM
E
e57 Offline
As far as floor outlets go - besides the mop water and dust cover - the outlet needs to be able to be walked on. (As part of the floor) I believe they need to withstand the '300LBS lady on a single high heeled shoe' test. wink Not sure if an outdoor cover has been tested to this very exacting standard.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard