ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
While in business I hired a cop-killer who had served 18 years for murder. He was robbing lover's lane parkers and the cop was with a lady not his wife and tried to be a hero. That is why a short sentence for killing a cop. He was the best electrician and also the best person that I have ever met. He was one of my top foremen and helped lesser employees constantly. I think people do change and fortunately my experiences have mostly been with those who changed for the better.

I
ITO Offline
There is a pretty big difference between getting a divorce and getting thrown in jail, I don't think the two are a fair comparison.

One of the best electricians I have ever known, the same man who taught me the trade, could out work any three men I know, who worked 6 and 7 day weeks 10-12 hours a day was also divorced 5 times. To say you could judge his character by is divorce rate is ludicrous at best.

101° Rx = + /_\
D
Originally Posted by njelectricmaster

I was convicted of several violent crimes and did my time in a max security prison. I was sentanced to 25 years.

Just watch for the ones that have done it several times!

Aren't you the several you are talking about?

Don't judge a man for the crime he commited,

Tell this to the victims of the crime.

I am going to lock this thread until the other mods read the negative remarks in the last post. I am going to let them decide if we should continue as i cant see this going positive at this moment.

njelectricmaster
Asked if i could reopen the thread ,
I was worried that it was going to turn into a mudslinging ordeal

N
Hello from South Dakota!!!!!!

First I would like to give an apology to anyone who might have taken offense to what I wrote. I mean no disrespect to the victims of violent crimes. They deserve all of our respect and support!

Second, I did not mean that all people who have been divorced are not good people. My point was that the one time I had to deal with a man that had that many marriages was terible. My own Father has been married 3 times. I was trying to show how judging people could look to others. I am truly sorry if I hurt anyone by my remarks.

I would like to give a little insight into Dnkldorfs last post. He was correct when he pointed out that I had been convicted of "several" crimes. What I failed to point out was that all the crimes I had been convicted of were all from the same act.

I guess, in short, my main point in telling you all these things is to open the hearts and minds of people that have never been in my situation. Not all people that commit a crime are bad people, and not all bad people are convicted of a crime.

In the six years that I have been a member of this site I have become comfotable enough to share these things. The people that frequent this site are the best at this trade and the most helpful and freindly people I have ever met. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
Interesting stuff Jon,
I will say that while I've never been to prison, I have had 3 DUI charges against my name.
Sure, I am not looking to minimise the seriousness of these convictions, I lost my drivers licence for some amount of months for each charge, but, my employer was kept in the picture each step of the way, for that I thank them for not sending me down the road.
It is not something I will be doing again, I've grown up since then.
Now, back to the topic of the OP, I would hire anyone regardless of thier background, sure sex offenders and to a degree convicted fraudsters and rapists probably wouldn't get a look in at work.
The thing is remorse.

G
My main concern would be if something turned up missing at a job; the ex-offender would be the lead suspect just because he's there.

Never mind that someone else is the culprit; people unfortunately jump to the easiest (usually wrong) conclusion. In fact, I know some people who have REFUSED to accept a set of master keys just because if there's something missing, they can't have the finger pointed in their direction.

He could be the most trustworthy guy on the face of the Earth, but an absentminded customer could easily misplace their wallet and start crying that "it must have been stolen".

Most of these guys have paid their debt and deserve a fresh start; the few who will be trouble will usually show themselves early enough that you can either not hire them or put them on a job where you can keep an eye on them.

Ghost307
Cat Servant
Just to stir the pot some more ... and maybe help clarify our thinking .... let me ask:

Assume you find out that your boss is a convicted felon, with a very shaky past. How do you respond?

Indeed, is it proper for the boss to perform a 'background check' ... without fully disclosing to you THEIR dirty laundry?

C
This is an interesting thread. My cousin is a machinist. He went into the Navy and got out and fell into drugs, and alcohol. Long story short he got 3-7 for beating his girl up. He honestly looked like death walking. Jail was the best thing for him. He was on some bad stuff. 184lbs out of the Navy 130lbs going to jail. Anyway he is getting out in about 5 months. I just visited him the other day. I haven't seen him in over 3 years. He looks good back up to 185lbs. He tells me he wants to get a job in machining again. I told him he will have a problem with 2 felonies. I told him his best bet is to go into business for himself. Not to many companies are going to stick their necks out for him. He would be a huge liability to the company. What if he attacks someone and they didn't know he was a ex con. I personally won't have a problem working with an ex con. However I would like to know that he was one. Nothing like working beside jeffery dommer. "Oh by the way guess what I'm eating for lunch". I guess it all comes down to character. again interesting thread.

"If your going to be stupid, You gotta be tough"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard