ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Hi Guys, anyone there who can help on my homework (im on OJT).
we have a 755 kVA Diesel Generator at work and my seniors ask me what could be the maitenance procedure i can do with the gen.
pls help me.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
What brand/model? Each manufacturer has their own recommended maintenance. In the real world? Check the gas gauge every month or so, make sure there isn't anything dripping from the engine, and fix it when it breaks. And it WILL break, especially given this maint schedule.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 04/24/07 11:21 AM.
F
for the 750 KW diesel gennys most mantiance useally followed by the engine manufacters recomendations :

engine oil and oil filter[s] useally anywhere from 250 to 500 hours or annually ,

Fuel Filter[s] 250- 500 hours or annually but can be more sooner depending on fuel qualnty if bad fuel or dirty fuel will result change more often

Air filter[s] depending on set up useally anually or by air filter restriction gauge show how far it will be before replaceing

coolant filter[s] if have it genrally annually item

Fan belt or water pump belt[s] check at every oil change for any major cracks or other forgen items along the way

starting batteries every oil change or more often look at the connection to make sure not corroed at the battery[s] termails and starting motor[s] and check the stand by battery charger to make sure it on proper voltage.

but there is few other things you may have to do the mantiance work depending on the engine manufacter required

of course load test the genny run at least min of 15 min but i rather run at least 45 min to run it good at 50 - 80 % load on it do not run on no load mode on diesel engines [ they will run yeah but will get wet stacking and will not get very warm running from this ]

the generator side main thing is keep the area clean check the breaker to make sure it can open and close properly the same with transfer switch [ there is few way to do this so check with the manufacter for the insturction to do this ]

and if this generator is loacted in cold area or outdoor area you may have to check the coolant heater to make sure it working properly as well

if more question please do ask us

merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

B
In addition to everything noted, we send oil and glycol samples out for analysis and recommend load bank testing on a yearly basis, at this time we perform IR on the generator electrical distribution components

J
Here is a synopsis of what we do for our 2 - 750kva, 1-1025 Kva simpower units and 1-750 Kva cat unit. We have a unit at each of four building sites.

once week. takes less than 5 minutes
check
battery charger is on.
battery voltage
Check block heaters are on
check switch is in auto and all disconnects are on.
Once a month
all of above +
check fluid level in batteries, radiator and oil
Start unit offline and run for 5 minutes
Once very four months. We do a different unit every month so we are doing one a month.
Simulate a power failure and run the building on generator for one hour. This tests the transfer switch. If we have a power failure we count that as a test.
Quarterly.
Service contractor comes in and does main PM. This includes oil sampling antifreeze testing. Battery testing. Electrical connection inspections and more. These inspection meet a CSA standard and he issues us a certificate for insurance purposes.
Annually
Generator contractor comes in and we do a 2 hour load test with load banks up to 90% full load.

B

Question for all posters in this thread—What do you use to lockout gensets that are under maintenance or repair?

In the past, at an 11-square-mile site with dozens of decentralized sets, out of desperation one day, [and hating to lift a battery terminal] I got a TWECO-brand 1/0-AWG welding-cable connector [male and female come as a pair] and cut it into the grounded-negative battery cable, with the exposed-male part of the pair connected to the frame.

It turns out 1/0- and 4/0-AWG connector sets are off-the-shelf items at welding-supply stores. http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/LC40x.html

Later, to allow for a positive disconnection, I drilled a 5/16-inch hole through the barrel of the female connector to accept a standard long-shackle padlock.

L
Later, to allow for a positive disconnection, I drilled a 5/16-inch hole through the barrel of the female connector to accept a standard long-shackle padlock.

There isn't alot of length inside those connectors. I'd be worried about those drilled holes significantly reducing the contact area, especially when the unit starts up and those contacts are seeing several hundred amps flowing thru them.

I would prefer a box that locks over the connector or a lockable dummy plug that mates to the connector. I understand your concern but I have been burned, literally, by those connectors when they get too loose or worn.

F
Originally Posted by Bjarney

Question for all posters in this thread—What do you use to lockout gensets that are under maintenance or repair?

normally most mech diesel engine they do have manual shut off lever on the fuel injection pump and i useally lock the pump in off or no fuel postion but for electronic verison all i did disconnect the starter soilond connection lead and cap it off [ the engine will never start without the soilond connection is off ]

but you mention welding locking cam i did see few but not very festable because the starting current is pretty high i know one genny i work on 750 Kw [ old two stroke detroit's they draw almost 900 amp @ 24 volts. other engine is pretty simuair as well.

and also if the genereator transfer switch there if you can get into the relay box you can take the ice cube off too that will lock the engine off also.

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

J
My units have the control panels right at the gensets. Turn them to off. Also have E-stops. Just hit one of them. Then turn off battery charger and disconenct cable between batteries. Our units use two batteries for 24 volts.
The cat unit has a key switch to turn off the battery.

Last edited by jdevlin; 05/25/07 03:56 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard