ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 411 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline
The Title-24 you and I have to deal with states 'Manual 'ON' "Occupancy Sensor" - auto 'OFF' w/ no 'ON' over-ride. However manufacturers call this a Vacancy Sensor. The sensor has to sense the 'vacancy' and turn off on its own. Unlike a regular 'Occupancy Sensor' that would turn on when you walk in to (Occupy)the room.

Google vacancy sensor and you get a residential title-24 compliant product.

Do the same for Occupancy Sensor, and you get a wide range of products that may or may not comply with title-24. (Residential or non-residential both can be found here.)

When the dopes who wrote this code worded it - manufacturers did not even have products that complied with it. Once the did, they called it something else to differentiate this type and function. Occupancy sensors were widely used to cover title-24 in commercial bath rooms before and still are, but were not required to be "Manual ON". If you ask the counter guy for an "Occupancy Sensor" - you might be installing the wrong item. (Even then I only assumed residential because there was a tub mentioned...)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Niko Offline OP
Now i know the differenec between the two and whole lot more.
Thanks

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard