ECN Forum
Posted By: Niko has anybody tried this? - 05/14/07 09:42 PM
Hi Folks,
Do you know if a OC (occupancy sensor) can be in series with a dimmer.
Here is what i am proposing to do:
Install two lowvoltage recessed cans above a indoor jacuzzi tub, have a dimmer control them and to comply with title 24, have the OC control the dimmer.

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks for your input
Posted By: joncon Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/14/07 10:34 PM
As long as the OS is before the dimmer, no problem.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/14/07 10:37 PM
A guess:

If the occupancy sensor is rated for a particuliar voltage, then it will not be operating at it's rated voltage and therefore in violation of 110.3 (B).

Posted By: e57 Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 01:37 AM
I particularly like to use Meastro dimmers for this! They make a neat effect as they fade up to the pre-set if left on. (only using the VC to control it) With a few dimmers you can kind of make a 'scene' out of it when operating the "Vacancy Sensor", (Not 'occupancy sensor'!) and all the dimmers come up to preset levels.

Shockme, VC uses NC contacts, the dimmer gets the same voltage, you dont or should not dimm the VC.
Posted By: e57 Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 01:43 AM
I think I want to dub that the "Poor-mans Grafik Eye"....
Posted By: ghost307 Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 01:02 PM
Should I mention that you should check also to see if your Code allows lights above the tub before you get too far along?

I know that Chicago is dead set against it.
Posted By: Zapped Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 06:00 PM
I don't see any problem with this approach. As long as the sensor is BEFORE the dimmer, all components are getting proper operating voltage.

BTW, I did not know that about Chicago Ghost. Do they also not allow sealed-trim can lights above showers?
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 07:03 PM
Depends if its the type of PIR occupancy sensor which has its own neutral, or the type which is in series with the line and relies on that to power it. The former will work; the latter not.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 07:29 PM
The wording in the Code is similar to NEC for pendant lights, but there's a part that prohibits many of the light installations of this variety by a somewhat left-handed means. It limits the mounting height to no lower than a minimum of 7 ft 6 in. above the maximum water level. Even then they require a ground-fault circuit interrupter for it.

You can use recessed fixtures with a glass or plastic lens and nonmetallic or electrically isolated metal trim, suitable for use in damp locations or surface-mounted fixtures with a glass or plastic globe and a nonmetallic body or a metallic body isolated from contact if the fixtures are suitable for use in damp locations lower than the 7'-6 above the maximum water level if you provide a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

To paraphrase the Chicago Code; "sure it's okay...just jump through this moving hoop while whistling Dixie and juggling these oranges".

They're very accomodating here.
Posted By: Niko Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/15/07 09:49 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.

Mark, what is the difference between OS (occupancy sensor) and VS (vacancy Sensor)

Thanks
Posted By: e57 Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/16/07 12:25 AM
The Title-24 you and I have to deal with states 'Manual 'ON' "Occupancy Sensor" - auto 'OFF' w/ no 'ON' over-ride. However manufacturers call this a Vacancy Sensor. The sensor has to sense the 'vacancy' and turn off on its own. Unlike a regular 'Occupancy Sensor' that would turn on when you walk in to (Occupy)the room.

Google vacancy sensor and you get a residential title-24 compliant product.

Do the same for Occupancy Sensor, and you get a wide range of products that may or may not comply with title-24. (Residential or non-residential both can be found here.)

When the dopes who wrote this code worded it - manufacturers did not even have products that complied with it. Once the did, they called it something else to differentiate this type and function. Occupancy sensors were widely used to cover title-24 in commercial bath rooms before and still are, but were not required to be "Manual ON". If you ask the counter guy for an "Occupancy Sensor" - you might be installing the wrong item. (Even then I only assumed residential because there was a tub mentioned...)

Posted By: Niko Re: has anybody tried this? - 05/16/07 01:18 AM
Now i know the differenec between the two and whole lot more.
Thanks
© ECN Electrical Forums