ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Elk’s Lodge 11th hour ritual chime clock
by lemahj - 09/26/23 10:24 AM
Strange breaker tip problem
by gfretwell - 09/25/23 08:13 PM
An impossible Support Violation
by gfretwell - 09/12/23 04:29 PM
How are you Jersey folks about the windmills?
by gfretwell - 09/08/23 02:21 PM
Having trouble logging in?
by Admin - 09/01/23 10:26 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 524
... Hi gang, I'm planning on running a 60 amp, 240 volt, single phase feeder out to a detached garage to a question is... do I need a ground rod out there, or will the bare grounding wire in the SER cable suffice?? I'm using 1-1/4" pvc pipe to go underground, but if I don't use SER, and just pull THHN,..does the grounding conductor then have to be insulated??


.."if it ain't fixed,don't break a Licensed Electrician"
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 212
Can't quote chapterand verse since I don;t have the book right here, but if you are feeding a panel in a seperate building it must be seperately grounded and since you will be using PVC as a raceway you don't need to pull a ground wire at all. Why would you even consider SER in a raceway?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,411
Likes: 1
Cat Servant
Feeder, separate building ... need a ground rod.

Whatever method you use, I recommend treating it as a 'sub-panel.' That means having a ground wire back to the main panel, and keeping the neutrals and grounds apart.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 212
While I agree with Reno's interpretation of this issue, around here the inspectors consider a ground wire with the feeder and a seperate ground rod or two to be parallel grounding.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,869
Likes: 25
If you didn't rebond the neutral in the far panel your inspectors would be wrong. In fact, in 2008 250.32(B)(2) will be gone and you will be required to run a 4 wire feeder.

Greg Fretwell
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 356
250.32 (A) and 250.32(B)(1)(2)
I don't think insulated or not will make a difference on the EGC. I would run an EGC and install a separate ground rod and bond the EGC to it, however, I do not bond the grounded conductor to the grounding bar.


Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 31
Junior Member
There is apparently many ideas on how to to this, but the current code is that you run a four feeder and use an insulated ground wire once you leave the main building and go into the ground. And you separate the ground bar and neutral. In our area the the AHJ will tell you to remove the ground rod, paralell path.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 449
You must install a grounding electrode at the structure served! How in the world do these AHJs get around 250.32(A)? An AHJ who makes you remove a ground rod from a structure served by a feeder needs to be re-educated.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 3
New Member
I recently fed a detached garage in our area. The local AHJ requires a four-wire feed in addition to two (that's right - two!) 8' ground rods - 6' apart with a #4 copper conductor. The garage is 10' from the house which also has two ground rods in addition to the cold water bond also a #4. That gives me 4 ground rods in a 25' radius plus the cold water bond. All #4.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 58
I'm too lazy to open the book. I believe the egc is necessary if there is any metallic connection to the main structure, such as water pipe , gas, etc. The ground rod IS REQUIRED even if an egc is pulled in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5