ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

>> Home   >> Electrical-Photos   >> Classifieds   >> Subscribe to Newsletter   >> Store  
 

Advertisement:-Left

Custom and Personalized Fall Gifts and Decor
Halloween Gifts and Decor

Recent Gallery Topics:
What in Tarnation?
What in Tarnation?
by timmp, September 10
Plumber meets Electrician
Plumber meets Electrician
by timmp, September 10
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 572 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
mxslick #163476 05/08/07 07:59 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 174
K
Member
Don't those old ballasts have PCB's in them?

Wire Pulling Tools for Electricians

Wire Pulling Tools for Electricians, Installers & Maintenance Technicians

kale #163495 05/09/07 01:46 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 806
Member
Yes, IIRC the capacitors used in them had PCB-laced fluid in them. I'm not too sure how many of those capacitors actually failed, the few ballasts I disected after a flamout showed signs of shorting/overheating of the coils.

Modern ballasts are usually marked "Non-PCB's" or something along the lines...

Modern isn't always better it seems...I have two "shoplights" (dual 40watt 4 foot lamps) in my garage, and the electronic ballasts gave off a very strong odor of hot electronics for thier first few hours of operation. I don't leave them on unattended. eek




Stupid should be painful.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5