ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
What's wrong with using a power strip?

Edit: oh, sorry, forgot where I was for a second- I meant a surge supressor smile To protect all that stuff, of course, not for the extra outlets...

Last edited by SteveFehr; 04/28/07 11:55 PM.
P
From Alan Belson:

My Remodel, ongoing, please excuse the mess! I've placed a duplex receptacle on each side of each bed location, plus 2-way { Mod note: = U.S. 3-way } [ 1-gang plate and pull ] switches on the main luminaire[s]. The bedside recepts will power reading lights and a clock radio. These are all Legrand Mosaic units except for the pullswitches and ceiling roses, which are British 'MK' in bakelite, as I find the French ones too flimsy for my taste.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My office will be along the second floor landing and here I've fitted a pair of triplex recepts plus the FT { France Telecom } 'phone socket.

[Linked Image]

With only one clock radio, I guess i am at the top of the list with the number of things plugged in at my bedside. smile

I always ask the customer where the bed goes, then install one double duplex on each side with a phone jack.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

N
My side:

Lamp
Clock Radio
Waterbed Heater

Wife's side:

Lamp
Clock Radio
Window A/C (on dedicated circuit).

G
We don't take anything into the bedroom that doesn't involve "bed activities" (sleeping and that other thing).
We found both are better without distractions.
That is why I put that desk on the wall outside the door for the chargers. Work stops HERE.

Greg Fretwell
R
At the moment I have a reading lamp plugged in beside my bed that is if it is even plugged in! ( No clock as I am never here I stay at the G/F's place all the time) The lights in the wall unit I have are plugged into the existing circuit but the stereo and T.V plug into an isolated ground circuit I ran up there years ago to pick up the electronics in my room and my brothers room. Iso ground is not needed for my stuff but my bro has all sorts of fancy guitar amps and things so I figured why not and ran all of it on one iso ground circuit.

E
e57 Offline
One clock, two lamps (one each side)....

Have you guys thought of plugging in chargers elsewhere? Desk, kit countertop?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
e57 #163044 04/29/07 08:26 PM
OH Yeah, how can I forget the noisy old window fan for those 60-70 degree nights. It doesn't get the power-strip treatment though.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
E
Wow. As basic as this question is, it's actually a pretty good topic for thought with all of this arc fault discussion relating to receptacles in bedrooms.

Anyway, when we first moved into my brand-new house, my first order of business was to install plenty of floodlights on the back and sides of the house with plenty of four-ways.

My side of the bed has one of these at 36" plus a 4-way for the switched half receptacle. There's another one on my wife's side of the bed plus the one by the door.

I have a single duplex on my side. On her side, the top half is switched and we have lamps on both night stands connected using a basic two-wire extension cord.

We both have alarm clocks and I have a cell phone charger, so oddly, my applications are almost proper.

The painter's house always needs painting;
The mechanic's car always needs repair;
The plumber always has leaks;
The electrician is using extension cords.

My vote is two double-duplex on each side of the bed with one half switched by 4-ways at the locations I mentioned. I did this in my previous house as well, so I have enjoyed this convenience since 1987. It's really nice.

I have been shamed by this post and I plan to do something to eliminate the permanent extension cord that I am using for the bedside lamps next weekend.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by EV607797
The electrician is using extension cords.

Anyone want to talk about whats under thier desk right now in terms of cords???? Not me....

Today I closed some wall plates in my living room that have been open for almost two years. Just never got around to putting the cover plates on... But wouldn't leave someone elses house over-nite without them. whistle

I also worked on my BBQ, and replaced the kitchen faucet....

Last edited by e57; 04/30/07 01:50 AM.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard