ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jdo1942 #162341 04/17/07 07:07 PM
R
jdo1942: I had to do the relay thing to add a second doorbell at the G/F's parents place.
Turns out the transformer was large enough ( VA wise) to drive both chimes BUT the original bells were wired with 22/4 phone wire and would not operate properly when an additional chime was connected... Added a relay and rewired the button and existing chime ( with the existing 22/4 phone wire) and added in the extra chime and the problem was solved.

A.D

Rewired #162343 04/17/07 08:52 PM
J
http://lamson-home2.com/WirelessChimes.php

under Extend-a-chimes
My best friend's mom had substantial hearing loss prior to her passing. This was the solution we picked. I took a few minutes to install the wireless transmitter in the chime assembly. We plugged the receiver / remote chime into a location where she was unable to hear the main chime. They came as a pair and we were able to find a stand-alone additional receiver / chime. They sound separate, programmable audibles for each door. This solution involves minimal wiring and gets the coverage needed without breaking the ear drums of a person near the main chime. We picked them up at the, "Save big money at", store.
Joe

P
use the door bell system to trigger a relay. Once you have a separate system you can get 120vac bells or what ever.

I think that would be the answer. You could then hook up a 12-inch fire bell if you wanted to!

pauluk #162396 04/18/07 06:16 PM
T
This is why I come here. I just bought a wireless extender for my home. I didn't know there was such a thing. Thanks.

Dave

Tiger #162397 04/18/07 06:22 PM
I think that would be the answer. You could then hook up a 12-inch fire bell if you wanted to!

There we are! I knew the solution would be apparent once the collective brain cells of ECN got on the case! Bravo!

Wood work but can't!
T
Reminds me of something... recently I visited an abandoned ca. 1900 house and the door bell is impressing... I guess close to 8" in diameter, on a polished wooden base! Powered from a standard bell transformer that is probably not even half as old as the bell.

P
Originally Posted by Alan Belson
There we are! I knew the solution would be apparent once the collective brain cells of ECN got on the case! Bravo!

The idea for that was actually from an anecdote my late father once told me about how as a kid he decided that a conventional alarm clock wasn't loud enough, so he rigged up some sort of contacts on the clock to energize just such a large fire bell.

Apparently it was very effective -- Too effective, in fact. This was in the one of those Stoke Newington streets of small houses all joined together, and it woke up not only the entire family but also everybody in the adjoining houses as well. I gather it only ever got used on that one morning! wink

pauluk #162444 04/19/07 10:22 AM
G
Back in the olden days alarm clocks had a "coffee pot" plug in back that you could plug 1000w into. I had a siren plugged in one for my roomie who went to work after I left. Sometimes it actually took a neighbor pounding on the door to get him up.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard