This story is stolen from EC&M Magazine, as submitted by Walter Wallis of Middletown, N.J.:
"In a chemical plant where I worked, the soda products unit was undergoing major production improvements, including bringing in more water and electricity. The plumbers made the final connection to the 3-inch galvanized water pipe they had stubbed in earlier, and turned on the water. Suddenly, everything in the plant went silent. Water was spewing out of every starter fed from the wiring gutter the 3-inch conduit was connected to."
We had just installed a large vault with 8 stress cones at a large campus. The man hole cover was clearly marked Electrical Danger High Voltage. The soccer field flooded so the grounds keeper hooked up a pump and removed the man hole cover and put the discharge hose in the vault. Big mess and darkness all over campus. Rod
This as a regular gag in the old post silent movie era. The 3 stooges, Marx brothers and WC Fields all used it. It always ended up with luminaires squirting water. Back in the olden days when the existing gas pipes got wires pulled through them this was not that crazy an idea.
i did see few older home have old gas pipe that genrally are 1/2 some case 3/4 inch pipe and they ran the wire inside but for sharp 90degree bend that part that i just cant figure it out with out tearing the wire apart like that.
one case it did actally happend to me one pipe did actally charged with natural gaz and some how the homeowner change the fixure and did not put proper seal on the pipe and i did do the trouble shooting and saw a spark next thing i got flameball went by my head i just swear for a min then found out that someone did change pipe connection and i guess what it did when i loosen up the wires on lumimaire capony cover and got me by suprise.
Merci , Marc
Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)
I read that same story. Reminded me of when I was a helper working in a high-rise and the laborers needed to pump off the rain water that had accumulated on the upper floors. They dropped the hoses into the nearest galvanized pipe and turned on the pumps... and a couple of stories below the mechanics installing the guts in the fire-alarm panels got an un-expected shower. The galvi was a rigid FA riser.