ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#161374 04/02/07 12:02 PM
S
I'd like your opinions on the job I just lost to another licensed contractor.

The job consisted of an add on addition.
The following is all new wire.

2 bedrooms consisting of 14 outlets, 4 circuits-2 lighting, 2 recp., install 2 ceiling fans (provided by homeowner), both controlled by 1 single pole switch

one 20 amp laundry circuit, one 15 amp circuit for lighting ( 1 floresent)controlled by 2 three way switches

one 20 amp bathroom circuit, 1 exhust fan controlled by 1 single pole switch
1 GFI recep.,1 vanity light(provided by homeowner) controlled by 1 single pole switch

1 hallway recp, 1 ceiling light controlled by 2 three way switches-(using circuit feeding laundry room light)

one 15 amp circuit for 4 reg smoke detectors, 1 smoke/co2 detector

I estimated with tax $3638

The contractor that got the job estimated $1500 less!!!!

Did I over bid?

For those who care the job is located in New Jersey

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
B
You're estimate sounds about right with out doing any math. I am from the Chicago area and you can bet there is someone who will always do it cheaper and alot cheaper. I always tell people you get what you pay for and I don't worry about the jobs I don't sell. Let some else make a measly profit it sounds like its not worth your time at that price.

Last edited by bot540; 04/02/07 02:28 PM.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
E
That is total madness. There is no way that a licensed and legitimate contractor can do that much work for that kind of price. Your's was in-line with the norm. The contractor's "half-price" deal is too good to be true. There's problably a situation here where the "licensed competitor" just managed to figure out a way to get someone to obtain a permit for the job for them. It might be worth your while to check into that. If you can prove that this stuff is going on, you can get them busted and rid your community of this stuff. Something to think about.

Remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it ALWAYS is.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
L
LK Offline
You said you estimated $3638 with tax, your in New Jersey, no tax on capital improvement, the addition is a capital improvement, fill out an ST-8 Form and have your customer sign it with the contract.

I noticed "1 exhust fan controlled by 1 single pole switch"
Is it a $7 exhaust fan or a $324 fan, are you running the vent?
I can assure you he is putting in a $7 fan and not running a vent.

Running the 4 smoke detectors in an old work job, can at times cost as much as he is charging for the entire job.

Did he offer a contract? and did you see this price in writing, or is this what a homeowner told you?

Will he permit the job?

I would not worry about it, guys like that don't last, and if they do, they grow into angry bitter old men. Anyone running a business to grow, and earn a living wage, can't make it at those prices.

Move on, and keep your head up.

Last edited by LK; 04/02/07 04:39 PM.
D
Originally Posted by EV607797
That is total madness. There is no way that a licensed and legitimate contractor can do that much work for that kind of price. Your's was in-line with the norm. The contractor's "half-price" deal is too good to be true. There's problably a situation here where the "licensed competitor" just managed to figure out a way to get someone to obtain a permit for the job for them.

I don't think we say this.

The other "guy" may of bid low, and plans on upselling alot of extras.
He may be alot more organized, much quicker..ect

Just because the OP lost the job, doesn't automatically mean the other gent is unlicensed.

M
i happen to agree with Dnk....maybe the other guy is just better...

I mean, in every other profession, don't the guys who are the best charge the least?

Last edited by mahlere; 04/03/07 06:44 AM.
C
Well that price sounds right,I just gave and estimate for a 3 story house with 2 bath,enclosed porch,3 exits new 100 amp servise with all the required minimum code items for $6,100.00 (house is gutted)and another local contractor mention by name"I was told by owner is going to do it for $2,000.00"Location is Camden New Jersey,The owner of property is a doctor.I estimate that the 2,000 will be for materials alone.
So go figure as long as there is people willing to under cut others we will never be respected as we should be,nothing works with out electric and we will always be considered thief for charging what we are suppose to charge.

M
maybe the other contractor is just a better electrician with better help and can do it faster?

S
mahlere

I'm not the best, but I'm not the worst either.
I,ve been doing this work for a long time now (20years)
Just because we are older/slower now, it doesn't mean we loss quality. I don't know the other contractor personally, but I feel maybe he is alittle inexperienced in estimating. Let's face it. None of us do this work for charity. Were in it to make a living.
I'm also glad I posted this question. It makes me feel I am not alone in feeling this way and I thank those who responded for their support.

E
You know, Mahlere, you may be right. Most heart and brain surgeons charge less than a typical emergency room doctor. Don't forget the great job that discount lawyers can do for you too in a complex court case. It makes absolutely no sense to spend more money on the good guys.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard