ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#159744 01/24/05 02:28 AM
D
Dave33 Offline OP
We need to certify our network cables , what instrument do you guys use?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#159745 01/24/05 02:31 PM
M
I use the Fluke OmniScanner2 you can save the test results internally or use a multimedia card and either print up the test results and give the customer a booklet or what I like to do Is put the results on a Cd in PDF format (a little more professional in my opinion).

#159746 01/24/05 07:17 PM
G
We don't do a lot of data. When we run into a customer who wants their network certified we sub out the testing.

Most often when the customer sees the cost of the certification they will decide that they really don't need it. The only exception has been state jobs where the specs are written in granite and money doesn't matter.

#159747 01/24/05 10:34 PM
H
I agree with Golf Junkie. The BICSI guys will have a hemorage when I say I normally recommend you stay away from certification if at all possible. The equipment is very expensive, isn't usable forever and if you take care to install the cable properly the network will operate just fine anyway.

I also feel that certification, if it is done should be performed by an independent outside or third party just to keep honest people honest. This is kind of like inspecting your own work, if you certify the temptation is great to let a few minor defects go especially if you know the runs will work and it is going to cost you money to replace them.

-Hal

#159748 01/25/05 06:54 AM
E
e57 Offline
Our shop also has an (Nearly obsolete, and battery is on its way out) OmniScanner, use it on rare occassion for troubleshooting and if a customer gets ichy about something, but most all jobs requiring Certification, are 3rd party anyway. Here's the funny part... half the check list is visual inspection, and documentation anyway. [Linked Image] And most of the time, its the customers IT dept that will do it themselves.

Exceeding link length is paramount to instant fail, So a wire mapper with TDR is an inexpensive alternative for a quick check before a third party certification. (Just to save embarasment if someone rolled a pair, or left 300' of cable in the cieling.) Fluke makes a good one for about $500. http://www.flukenetworks.com/us/Cabling/Residential+and+Basic+Testing/MicroScanner+Pro/Overview.htm
or: http://www.flukenetworks.com/us/LAN/Handheld+Testers/LinkRunner/Overview.htm

Some certification tools will run about $2000 -$16000. Not a purchase to be taken lightly. There are also places that rent them, and sell used. Heard of an on-line renter that will Fed Ex one to you for a day. (Forget the name.)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#159749 01/25/05 10:48 AM
M
Just out of curiousity, you guys that say to stay away from certification, do you verify the terminations in any way? visually or cheap wire mapper? Or do you just hope you dont get a call back if and when one of the lines doesn't work because of a flopped pair or some other repairable human error? For me it just makes me feel good to know that I can walk away from a job and I know all links are ready to go also makes me look a lot better when a customer builds his network and everything hooks up flawlessly and they have confidence in my work after that and don't have any apprehensions about using me in the future.

#159750 01/25/05 01:34 PM
M
Another model by Fluke worth checking is http://www.flukenetworks.com/us/LAN/Handheld+Testers/IntelliTone/Overview.htm
It is a tone and probe kit that can tone data that is connected to active equiptment, which if any of you have had any experience trying to ring out a live data cable it is definitely a PITA from my experience and this little gadget has definitely made my life easier on those jobs trying to troubleshoot connectivity on a link that someone else installed without labeling or any other sort of documentation giving clues where to look, and it also has a basic wiremapping function.

#159751 01/25/05 01:35 PM
H
do you verify the terminations in any way?

Absolutely, nothing to do with certification. We use a Siemon STM-8 which is in the $200 range but there are many others.

I agree that you have to leave the job knowing that the customer will have no problems with your end.

-Hal

#159752 01/25/05 03:03 PM
M
Ok I misunderstood I thought Hbiss said that he doesn't verify anything and just has that much confidence in himself that he can punch everything down, walk away and guarantee the job(if you can I might have a spot for you [Linked Image] ), I almost had that hemorage you were talking about. [Linked Image] I absolutely agree that if the customer wants to save a little money and do without the certification part I will just perform a simple wiremap to ensure all is well on my part.

#159753 01/25/05 10:20 PM
H
...thought Hbiss said that he doesn't verify anything and just has that much confidence in himself that he can punch everything down, walk away and guarantee the job

Nope. Believe it or not I actually do screw it up every once in a while. [Linked Image]

-Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard