ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 536 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#158558 08/06/06 07:25 AM
D
I think that all electure was trying to say that belectrician isn't an EC and was making it looked like she was.

She isn't the only one here. There is other people here who claim to be licensed electricians or contractors, and the truth is they don't own a business, don't have an electrical license, but want to tell the world how to run a business.

These are the people we don't take seriously.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158559 08/06/06 08:21 AM
I am not bashing anyone. Everything I say is verifiable.
I'm just pointing out that Brooke, ESI's salesperson, came in here under false pretenses and has tried to keep this masquerade up even after more than 1/2 a year. By registering here as an electrician, she lied to us before ever posting a single keystroke.
Is this what you want from a business partner?
There has been no activity on this site by her other than to promote her own product, ESI.
How would you guys take to a DIYer that did the same things on this Forum?

I've read all the threads, (many before their hasty edits) and I was on the Wednesday Night Business Chat that was supposed to answer our questions. The answers were inflated (a membership of under 250 became "nearly 500") and vague. Some questions were ignored completely.
These things are all fact.

Regardless of the benefits of their program, (which I think are many for some contractors, BTW) I've been misled from the beginning, and personally wouldn't buy a bag of air from them if I was drowning.
Being manipulated and told half truths are not what I'm after.

edited only for punctuation

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-06-2006).]

#158560 08/06/06 09:08 AM
M
electure,

i see what you are saying. But what's that old saying "don't throw out the baby with the bath water"?

you don't have to join the group, you don't have to believe the sales people (hell we know sales people lie) you don't even have to like what they are saying.

but you do have the accept and respect the fact that there are 1000's of residential/lt commercial service contractors across the country who are successfully running their system (or a close variation of it)

that's all.

[edited to change except to accept] never was no good at this enlish stuff [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 08-06-2006).]

#158561 08/06/06 09:25 AM
I
but you do have the except and respect the fact that there are 1000's of residential/lt commercial service contractors across the country who are successfully running their system (or a close variation of it)

If that system includes lying to become 'successful' than no....I don't have to respect it.

I would not ignore it but I would not respect it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#158562 08/06/06 09:40 AM
M
i wire, point taken.

but i believe you understand what i mean.

#158563 08/06/06 11:57 AM
Even to a EC that has no ethical objection to any of it, or possibly even condone and applaud this kind of advertising business behavior, there is a bottom line

She got caught.

If you want to pay money to someone that works this way at least pay somebody that doesn't get caught. [Linked Image]

#158564 08/06/06 01:41 PM
M
i'm not really following you electure. I'm not saying to pay him/her anything. I'm not saying to join esi/nexstar. I'm saying don't stick your head in the sand and ignore the fact that these companies are already (or will soon be) in your area and taking your best customers (the ones that are willing to pay)

beat on him/her as much as you want. doesn't matter to me. but when was the last time someone from your company did something that they shouldn't have done (cut a corner, overcharged, etc) and got caught? It happens in every organization if you have more than one person (the owner) involved.

just don't close your eyes to the fact that the system is out there and it works. that's all i'm saying. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mahlere (edited 08-06-2006).]

#158565 08/06/06 01:51 PM
E
There is other people here who claim to be licensed electricians or contractors, and the truth is they don't own a business, don't have an electrical license, but want to tell the world how to run a business.

They don't own a business, doesn't mean they don't understand the industry or the needs of a business to operate successfully.

Just because they don't currently or may never have had a business doesn't mean that there isn't information that can be learned from them.

Glen

BTW - for those who don't know, I am not an electrical contractor, never claimed to be one. However, I am a certified electrician and have had my own electrical business and several others over the years.

The experience that I share with you is based on years of study (business and admin and sales training in college), hands on experience and over 15 years working as an estimator for various construction companies including residential and commercial electrical and renovations contracting.

And for a time as a HD sales associate working as a contractor contact.

I currently work with 2 electrical contractors as an electrician, and assist them with estimating projects for profitability.

Just in case anyone might think that I have misrepresented myself...

I also don't agree with misrepresentation.

And, for the record, my education in how to operate a business successfully, although not currently being put into practice by myself as an EC, has cost me all tolled approx. $35,000 and over 15 years of hard work.

I am not endorsing any company such as ESI or Nexstar or any of the others... however, if it costs $20,000 plus for an electrician to successfully make the transition to business owner, that to me would have been a worthwhile expense as it certainly could have saved considerable time and further expense on my part... IMHO

[This message has been edited by ExpressQuote (edited 08-06-2006).]

#158566 08/06/06 02:23 PM
M
Glenn,

i agree with you. while i am licensed in NJ, a contractors license in NJ doesn't mean that you know how to run a business. It's a technical license.

Some of the most successful contractors I know (plumbing, electric, hvac) do not have the mechanical ability of a wet noodle. But they have business accumen that is greater than I could ever hope to achieve. They are able to run a company correctly and profitably. Many are extremely involved in their local community and are truly upstanding citizens. Most of them charge higher than the going rate, but have a higher than average volume of repeat customers.

But it is easier to dismiss something that we don't like based on whatever prejudice we can find, than to open up to the thought that there is a different way that may work better.

personally, i think anyone with half a brain wouldn't want to get into this industry anyway. so i am extremely skeptical of anyone who does [Linked Image]

#158567 08/07/06 08:47 AM
B
Our company has a system similar to Mr. Sparky. I attended one of their seminars several years ago and found it to be insightful although pricy.
The only differance between what they do and what we do is that our employees are hourly and theirs are commisioned.
We have a invoice that lists all probable jobs with prices next to them.
It takes hard work to make it in this feild and even more to run a successful business with several employees. But the rewards are worth the headaches.
Anyone can do it if they have the ambition and financial backing.
I gained all of my knowledge by asking a friend who runs a very successful business plus a few hard knocks.
Their are two ESI companys in my area, one is strugeling the other is doing quite well which helps my company greatly.
Remember you can get free advice from anywhere. What you do with it can make all the differance in the world.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard