ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#158211 04/08/06 10:57 PM
D
You know, thinking about this....IF I did write a business plan down, it probably would be 60 pages...59 1/2 of them would be changes...

I keep changing my paths on a weekly basis, different oppurtunities just keep coming along sometimes...

Dnk...

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
#158212 04/09/06 09:22 AM
R
I still say that if you don't INTEND to grow, or change direction, a business plan may not be necessary. You still may expand just on reputation alone. If so, good for you. As long I am physically doing the work, it is hard enough to keep up with day-to-day routines. If, one day, I hire a second man to help keep up, I may decide differently.

Everyone has different objectives and aspirations. I simply don't see a need for a business plan at this point in time.

#158213 04/09/06 10:49 PM
Cat Servant
It's really hard to hit your target, if you have no target to aim for.

Every business should be able to sum up its' purpose in a single sentence. Look how effective the US Army was with its' "Be all you can be" campaign, or Wal-Mart with "The low price everyday."

For me, it's turned out to be "My stuff works." Others may be cheaper, faster, or better organised.....but I have no doubt as to what my purpose is everyday!

#158214 04/10/06 02:08 PM
T
trevman Offline OP
At first I thoght the Idea of this business plan was not applicable to what I am trying to do.I am now starting to realiize if you want to be a succesfull entrepreneur that makes more money than the average guy this plan may be the key.Ill bet all the large ec's ive worked for in the past all have regullarly updated business plans.Last year I worked all year and made 65k if I cant make substantiaaly more $ operating my own business than whats the use of trying.This plan is suppose to prove to myself how I will get there.Thats the hard part.

#158215 04/10/06 05:11 PM
H
I too don't see what a business plan is going to do for you. Take LK's example:

The plan, does not have to be pages long, just an outline of your goals.

What services are you offering?
What area do you intend to operate?
Will you own, or rent your business property?
What will the gross income be, at year end?
Will you have employees, how many?
What equipment will you need?
What are your expected costs of operating?
What accounting methods are you planning to use?

"What will the gross income be, at year end" requires a crystal ball especially for the first year. All the rest, why even bother to write them down.

You SHOULD have answers to these questions when you startup but other than that, why? The only thing it is is a nice story to entice shareholders or bankers.

Most things are only going to change as your business goes on and you find more or different ways to be more profitable. A written business plan to follow isn't going to help you run a business. Knowing HOW to run a business is what's going to keep you going.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 04-10-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard