ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Having been an apprentice in the trade when these were being installed, I can recall the electricians complaining to the contractor about how junky they were. They proliferated due to low cost - and are no longer used for a reason. Hard to be a Sq D QO that has been around at least since the 70's.
We continually get reports from home buyers that home inspectors have written reports stating the they are not safe. In all honesty, I have blown apart some nice Kliens without the breakers tripping and have seen them burned up in panels.
As far as replacing them, I tell customer that they were never the best quality panels and I'd recommend replacing it if they're concerned, but it's not required.
As far as them not tripping in Canada...

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
U
FPE stab-lok is everywhere here in BC. 40yo homes right up to current - some of which I installed on spec'ed jobs within the past few years.

I don't *like* them, but that is my opinion. I think the stabs have poor pressure and contact area with the bus bars. However, it is by far the most common breaker/panel I deal with so its no surprise its the brand I run into with the most problems.

Why there is a witch-hunt for FPE south of the border, and virtually no cause for alarm (except for opinionated sparkies [Linked Image] ) up here doesn't make sense. Insurance companies are busy condemning K&T and/or fuse boxes instead.

BTW: I install Square-D QO whenever possible. [Linked Image]

B
The Canadian Federal Pioneer is a different breaker internally than the US Federal Pacific. I would be wary of the older Federal Pacific breakers that made it into Canada however.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard