ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#15317 10/12/02 08:43 PM
S
Sean WB Offline OP
How Do I set my profile so I am logged in everytime I return to post on ECN ? I have the option checked in the profiles , but I still have to hunt my password etc to post replies . really annoying
Typo On the title of this thread, meant to say ECN!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sean WB (edited 10-12-2002).]

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
#15318 10/12/02 08:55 PM
It may be a Windows setting on your Puter... Unless you have a Mac!

For me, I just type in "s" and the rest pops up, including the password. This is only required for my first post, then it's already typed in for the rest of 'em...

Can't seem to find the settings option in IE or TweakUI, however.

I do remember Windows asking me if I want to have "auto-fill-in" and for it to remember my passwords, but I don't know how to access those dialogue boxes!

I'm no help, just a lot of wind!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#15319 10/12/02 09:03 PM
Well Sean it has to do with cookies. If you have a firewall or a Windows setting that deletes all your cookies it will make you log in everytime. This goes for all of you on here.... It is much easier to just relog in everytime for piece of mind. This site for example may have the honest cookies where it remembers who you are but alot of sites use cookies to study your internet habits and what pages you visit.

#15320 10/13/02 02:34 AM
S
Sean WB Offline OP
I think Ill just leave it the way it is [Linked Image]
I dont like thought of being a test rat [Linked Image]
Thanks

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
#15321 10/13/02 11:42 AM
The truly paranoid will have Zone Alarm, Ad-aware, PCcillin Anti Virus and Norton Antivrus on their machine to avoid the problems such as viri and spy-ware.

I, personally, won't run my machine without a firewall (Zone Alarm).

As far as cookies, ECN is mostly harmless, and yes, cookies are used, however, I still stick to my theory that it is an internal setting on his machine, not a setting on ECN that isn't allowing the use of said cookies.

Plus, I bet if one were to go to their cookie folder, they'd be surprised how much is on it even without posting or typing anything! (CTRL-F, type in cookies, hit search...)

Plus, the truly truly paranoid would also type their email address as such:

vkkelly(at)stargate(dot)net

Rather than:

vkkelly@stargate.net

Which is the one thing you can do to really avoid spam.

As far as my experience, I've been on the Web for about 10 years, and I've had little problems, a few viri, and very little spam.

My main problem is spyware, which, without adaware, one would never know they had a problem.

The truly, truly, truly paranoid would unplug their machine for good.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 10-13-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#15322 10/13/02 01:11 PM
Sean,
How Do I set my profile so I am logged in everytime I return to post on ECN ? I have the option checked in the profiles , but I still have to hunt my password etc to post replies . really annoying.
I'll bet that you have cookies turned off in your browser.

The way I believe things work is: If you allow it (by your preferences) the Forum will set a 'cookie' which 'remembers' who you are when you go to the Forum. This saves you from having to type in your info every time you try to post a message. If you have either your preferences or Browser set to No it does not work.

Nothing sinister going on there, it is just a built-in feature of the Forum software. As Virgil said, most cookies are harmless. Many programs have things like this to make things easier/better for the user. Another example where cookies are used is with our Code Quiz it displays questions in random order and the 'cookie' is how it keeps track of which questions you have seen already so that you can get all 50 without any repeats. (It may not even work for people without cookies enabled in their browser, I am not sure)

BTW, if you choose to keep things the way they are, you can still make it easier on yourself by changing your password to something more easily remembered.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard