ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 355 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
I've done the crane thing as well and it was scary. I'd rather have full control myself. I agree with Trumpy, a crane operator is a much better idea than a forklift. Do you need training to operate a forklift? We do - although I've never taken it.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
R
Our local equipment rental outfits are like Bob's, although some used to rent approved cages / baskets for their lifts, they have stopped doing so.

Roger

I
Crane operators are very clued-up people unlike some of the laborers that drive fork-lifts here.

Mike I am not sure I follow you here.

Your comparing a laborer who occasionally uses a fork lift to a trained operator.

Here a fork lift operator will often spend their entire work day behind the wheel,

Of course crane operators have more training than forklift operators.

But I am not expecting a forklift operator to operate a crane. I am expecting a forklift operator to operate a fork lift.

It has been my experience once a person has spent weeks, months...maybe years pulling and placing pallets from trucks and shelves that they have mastered the skills to put me in the air.

What will worry me is when one of the maintenance mechanics in the plant is chosen to drive me around. Usually the maintenance man knows how to run the machine but is not smooth with it as they don't spend 40 hours a week behind the wheel.

So we are clear this is the type of machine I mean. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from sne.com.my]

How many fork-lift drivers can you name that recognise common hand signals?

Most?

The signals you would use controlling a fork lift are pretty basic. No winches or rotation etc.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 10-31-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Trumpy Offline OP
OK Bob,
I concede, yes, in no way does operating a forklift, compare with a crane.
However, it is up to the operator of either machine as to what is carried with it.
So we are clear this is the type of machine I mean.
Oh yeah, not a worry there mate!.
The signals you would use controlling a fork lift are pretty basic. No winches or rotation etc.
I uesd to have a wall-chart at work that gave all the common signs and hand gestures used for both cranes and forklifts, one of the night-shift people pinched it!.

Trumpy Offline OP
In new news about the disaster that I call a workplace.
When I had a day off last weekend, I'm told by one of the printers, that the following happened, although it was never recorded in the accident register, nor was I told that an off-site electrician had been bought in:
There are a few cable trays in this place, run horizontally and they carry cables and Socket Outlets.
Some of the outlets are supplied via a curly cord down to the machinery below.
A fork-lift caught one of the cords and damn near tore the whole cable tray down.
Work got an electrician in (why I was not rang, is beyond me, because this comes out of my maintenance budget).
Anyway, the head printer there had this guy up in what we call a ULD, which is a steel cage, up on the end of the forklift, so I am told the guy moved to one side and the ULD tipped right over damaging a rolling machine.
That fella was bloody lucky, escaping with only a large gash on his arm.
At no time was there any lock-out, tag-out procedure.
When is this sort of thing going to stop?, If that guy had have been up in the air at the time, we would be looking at spinal injuries.
Your thoughts?.

D
Leave that job now?

Trumpy Offline OP
You've got that right Dnk,
I just want to run away as quick as I can, after hearing that little story. [Linked Image]
Week and a few days to go. [Linked Image]

B
to use a forklift as a man lift you must
A) have manufactures approval
B) have remote in basket controls

Most do not follow these simple rules and as shown above, pay with a life

Bryan L. Key
Safety Inspector/Trainer
Terry's Electric Inc.
An Xcelecom Company
600 N. Thacker Ave., Suite A
Kissimmee, Florida 34741
I
Bkey do you have a reference for those requirements as I do not believe that to be the case here in the USA.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-07-2006).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
Bkey I did some checking at OSHA and found that the rules are vague.

I found this in an OSHA standard interpretation.

Question (3): Is there a standard that requires employees to be able to shut off the truck's power when on platforms elevated by forklifts?

Answer: Yes. The Material Handling Equipment standard, section 1926.602(c)(1)(vi), requires that the design of all industrial trucks used by an employer meet the requirements in the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) B56.1-1969, Safety Standards for Powered Industrial Trucks. ANSI B56.1, paragraph 416, requires "order picker truck [s], high lift" to have travel and power controls at the platform level (see attached ANSI diagram of this type of truck). Whenever a forklift is used to elevate a platform and is used in a manner that makes it the equivalent of a high lift order picker truck, the controls specified in this ANSI provision must be in place.

IMO I have never used a forklift cage as a high lift order picker but boy is that open for interpretation.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard