A sadnote to report today. Yesterday Monday the 21st a worker from Agnoli signs working above the ceiling at Filenes in the Holyoke Mall recieved a fatal shock and passed away. All that was said was he touched a exposed electricial wire. Osha is looking into the accident but this is just a reminder of what we work with.Although only halfway thru my third year as a apprentice its when I hear of things like this please all of you check and recheck to be sure power is shut off. If you must work live follow all saftey procedures. He was 41 . A sad reminder to not get lax on saftey. To all of you be safe out there, Steve
Trumpy, that statistic is somewhat misleading. A lot of the people who have CPR performed on them don't get it in time to be effective (a minute or so), don't get it performed properly or they were simply beyond hope of revival but the paramedics were required to try anyway. CPR is usually going to save an otherwise healthy person who simply had the breathing and heartbeat process stopped by drowning or electrical shock. In that regard it is important that people in our trade be familiar with the process and do not hesitate to start immediately when it is appropriate. I suspect there may be a lot of "incidents" where it worked and did not get reported.
Re: Electrocution of a worker at Filenes in Holyoke Mass#151279 08/25/0602:48 PM08/25/0602:48 PM
About 3 weeks ago, my boss found his 3-year old son floating in the pool of their new house, blue, not breathing. He pulled him out, turned him over to clear his lungs and started rescue breathing until he found a pulse and his son started coughing and opened his eyes- saved his life; his son is doing fine now and shows no signs of brain damage. They think he was probably in the pool 2 or 3 minutes; scary stuff! My boss took a few days off later on that week to build a new fence around the pool.
7-8% is still a lot of lives. I really need to go back and get re-certified in CPR and refreshed in first-aid in general, it's been probably 12 years since my CPR card expired. First time I had to use my skills in a real-life situation, I choked and did nothing but wait for the ambulance. I've always regretted that- thankfully all involved recovered OK, but still, I could have and should have done more.
[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 08-25-2006).]