ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Changing a Bulb
by gfretwell. 07/14/18 03:12 PM
Tray cable?
by gfretwell. 07/11/18 10:18 PM
Eaton Heavy Duty 30A and 60A Safety Switches
by Admin. 07/11/18 09:49 PM
ORTOVOX Recalls Avalanche Transceivers
by Admin. 07/11/18 09:44 PM
Tingle off the water spigot
by gfretwell. 07/08/18 12:58 PM
New in the Gallery:
Plug terminals
Housebilding DIY wiring
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (gfretwell), 13 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A few Selected Accidents from down here #150747
09/08/05 08:31 AM
09/08/05 08:31 AM
Trumpy  Offline
OP
Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,236
SI,New Zealand
Guys just a few recent nasty Accidents as reported to the Electrical Safety Service here in NZ.

Quote
Voltage: 400
Result: Fatal
Location :Domestic

A trainee electrician was electrocuted when he attempted to join a live three phase neutral screen cable to the underground mains he had installed for a new domestic residence. The apprentice failed to identify that one phase of the cable was live and was feeding another two properties down the right-of-way.


Next is this:
Quote
Voltage: N/A
Result: Fatal
Location: Industry

An electrician was carrying out commissioning checks on a lift from the top of the car. While he was working, the
car moved upward causing him to receive fatal injuries.


And this:

Quote
Voltage: 230
Result: Fatal
Location: Domestic

An electrician was replacing a wall oven in a domestic kitchen. Having disconnected and removed the old oven and hob, he found standard colour-coding had not been used for the single core TPS cables, which were all red. To identify the neutral and earth phases, he used a tester on the tails of the cables. He was lying in the wall cavity against an earthed conductor when a cable sprang out and touched him, causing a fatal electric shock. The owner found him, called an ambulance and turned off the oven wall switch. One of the fuses for the 2-phase supply had blown. With all switches on and the two fuses in place, there was no effective isolation for the conductors.
An inspection found no problems with the installation. The phase and neutral conductors could have been identified with the circuit isolated by removing the wall switch, sighting their coding and ‘buzzing out’ the tails. Using a tester on a live circuit with unsecured cables was an unsafe work practice.


Finally:
Quote
Voltage: 230
Result: Burns
Location: Commercial

A handyman went to switch off a faultyMCB in a hotel kitchen switchboard when it exploded causing burns to his hand.
The circuit breaker was closed onto a short circuit which was later repaired by
an electrician.



[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-08-2005).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: A few Selected Accidents from down here #150748
10/27/05 09:58 PM
10/27/05 09:58 PM
Trumpy  Offline
OP
Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,236
SI,New Zealand
Bump. [Linked Image]


Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
Vlado
Vlado
Croatia
Posts: 28
Joined: February 2011
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 5
Popular Topics(Views)
248,123 Are you busy
185,581 Re: Forum
174,903 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.029s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.9461 MB (Peak: 1.0636 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-07-19 06:10:24 UTC