Here's a rather strange off-side to this topic.
I was talking to a painter a couple of years back and he was telling me that he was getting out of the painting trade, because the fumes from Lacquers and various other things that they used.
He was warned by a doctor prior to his decision, because the toxin levels in his blood had risen to near fatal levels, even though he always used a respirator mask.
Apparently it can also be absorbed through the pores of the skin from the air.
Nasty stuff alright!.