ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]
Courtesy: ERI

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
C
Good thing he was wearing gloves!

Yes, but you should see his face!

Terrible burns, and permanent disfigurement.

Interested persons can ask me for copies of the images via email ...

N
I think the thing that would have exploded would be that control transformer! You can read the original diagram that shows that it is a standard 240/480 primary type.. [Linked Image]

B
Siding with NJel, the ‘2300’ label must have been a ‘prop.’ Looks like the upper wiring is {SIS} 600V-class, and those hosed-up oversized crimp terminal are king of pathetic. The visisble CPT termainls do not apprear to have adequate creep and strike clearances for 5kV-class components.

OTOH, the star character should have had to defeat a mechanical door interlock to get into a live situation. [That 60%-polyester laundry-service shirt will now have emergency burn-unit workers cussing while trying to separate molten fabric from skin on his chest.]

For 600V-class work and instruments, serious consideration should be given to "IEC 1010-1" overvoltage-/installation-category numbers.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-06-2004).]

Very sharp eyes, and thanks for the comments. This was a video and I sent the editor the link to this page. The video is a good one though, but not for real, of course, just actors!

Just as an aside guys.
Wouldn't a transformer like this have to be fitted with a shroud on them bare terminals?
Or even just a cover to prevent shocks when working around other equipment in the same panel?.

B
IEC-like ‘fingersafe’ terminal covers are a comparatively new addition for UL/ANSI industrial-control equipment. They are typically available as an aftermarket accessory, so there will be a lot of equipment that will not ‘catch up’ for awhile.

The get the impression that in North America is that, if the cabinet door is opened, only qualified people familiar with shock and short-circuit hazards should be working on it.

Link Copied to Clipboard