ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
I work in an Iron Ore Mine that is situated in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. I graduated from college with an electrical engineering tech diploma and have spent my past three years in an industrial electrician apprenticeship program. I certainly don't know everything, at times it feels like I know nothing. I have had a serious problem with the mine where I work. They have no cable handling procedures, the mine's equipment runs on electricity. That is, all the shovels and drills require 'trailing cables' to provide power at a voltage of 4160 volts(3 phase). My problem is I can't seem to find anything in the mining code about handling these live trailing cables. Non-electrical personnel continually move these cables with nothing to protect them other than their normal leather gloves!! These cables have multiple cold shrink splices throughout, and are routinely handled by heavy equipment - dragged across rocks, tugged on with excessive force, on and on the violations go. I myself continuously tell these people they shouldn't be handling the live cables, however it still continues because miraclously no one has been hurt or killed to date (40 years of operation). Is this legal? I don't think so, but can someone show me this on paper??!! Help!!

Tom Offline
I can't say what the mine laws would be up in the North country, but you can try visiting the following website for the Mine Safety Health Administration. Maybe you can find some guidance there.
http://www.msha.gov

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 05-14-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
D
Like Tom I am not familiar with the Rules in Canada or if they have an enforcement agency such as MSHA. We always use hot gloves when handling an energized cable. I also avoid cold shrink splice unless I have no other choice and then I will come back and pour it as soon as possible. The standard for handling trail cables in the US is as follows:
30CFR 56.12014
Power cables energized to potentials in excess of 150 volts, phase-to-ground, shall not be moved with equipment unless sleds or slings, insulated from such equipment, are used. When such energized cables are moved manually, insulated hooks, tongs, ropes, or slings shall be used unless suitable protection for persons is provided by other means. This does not prohibit pulling or dragging of cable by the equipment it powers when the cable is physically attached to the equipment by suitable mechanical devices, and the cable is insulated from the equipment in conformance with other standards in this part.

T
Gary, As you are probably aware the Electrical Code does not have jurisdiction (yet) on electrical installations in a mine setting. The OESC in Ontario states:
Section 2—Administration General Rules
General
¨ 2-000 Scope. This Code does not apply to:
(f) Electrical equipment and electrical installations in a mine as defined in the Mining Act excepting any dwelling house or other building not connected with or required for mining operations or purposes or used for the treatment of ore or mineral;

I suggest you purchase CSA Standard CAN/CSA-M421-93, Use of Electricity in Mines; and they should clarify any misconceptions that may exist regarding electrical mine safety

Originally posted by Labrador Gary:
I work in an Iron Ore Mine that is situated in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. I graduated from college with an electrical engineering tech diploma and have spent my past three years in an industrial electrician apprenticeship program. I certainly don't know everything, at times it feels like I know nothing. I have had a serious problem with the mine where I work. They have no cable handling procedures, the mine's equipment runs on electricity. That is, all the shovels and drills require 'trailing cables' to provide power at a voltage of 4160 volts(3 phase). My problem is I can't seem to find anything in the mining code about handling these live trailing cables. Non-electrical personnel continually move these cables with nothing to protect them other than their normal leather gloves!! These cables have multiple cold shrink splices throughout, and are routinely handled by heavy equipment - dragged across rocks, tugged on with excessive force, on and on the violations go. I myself continuously tell these people they shouldn't be handling the live cables, however it still continues because miraclously no one has been hurt or killed to date (40 years of operation). Is this legal? I don't think so, but can someone show me this on paper??!! Help!!

Link Copied to Clipboard