ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 411 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Tir Offline
I walked into the funeral home only to stand face to face with the father of the young man that had died. I fully expected to be knocked flat and would have gladly accepted it for not 4 weeks earlier I had used my influence to get him hired. He was GREEN and wanted to show all he could the work and I kept a constant watch and told him all the stories of being knocked on my butt. He was sent to another job 3 weeks into the trade again eager to please. Prior to break one day he was instructed not to go near 2x4 fixtures on a 277v emergency circuit...he came back from break early once again eager to show off and proceeded to try to relocate one of the fixtures mentioned before, I can only assume to show that he could do it, after this young man hit the floor the lives of his wife and children and family would be forever changed.

Please guys always maintain strict safety guidlines at ALL TIMES, and know that accidents do happen. I drove home from the funeral wondering what I could have said to him, showed him to make him understand the hazzards of this trade....I still wonder.

WHEN IN DOUBT CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Trumpy Offline OP
Tir,
Welcome to ECN, mate!!. [Linked Image]
The post that you provided above, rings true with a few of us.
To have an Apprentice die on a worksite is nothing new to me.
I had an Apprentice Line Mechanic killed in the same Sub-station where I was working a few years back as part of a Line Crew.
The workers had just gone back after a Lunch break and even though the area was well sealed off and marked, this guy climbed over the live connections of a 33kV Recloser.
I've never used a Hot-stick so quick, trying to shut down the feeds to this recloser, but it was just too late, flash-over distances are too great at this voltage.
But no-one can even explain why this guy climbed up the wrong switching Pillar!.
I've never let an Apprentice, anywhere near any live HV gear, since, unless I have my full attention on them.
I still have nightmares about this incident, even though I was working seperately from the Line crew, that was installing a new Transformer, I was putting new CT's in the Control Board, the guy wasn't even my Apprentice, but Hey, he's still somebody's boyfriend, son, etc. [Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Would just like to relate a local situation that occured here yesterday.
A guy that works alone normally, took on an Apprentice on Tuesday and they went to do a job in a house just down from the road from where I live.
Apparently, from what I am told, the Electrician opened the Switch-board up and the Main Phase wire fell out of the Main Switch, the bare end of which landed on the neck/shoulder of the Electrician, he was standing on a set of Aluminium steps that had no rubber feet and it was in direct contact with the concrete floor below, suffice to say, the Electrician could'nt move.
Had his Apprentice not known what was going on, he would be deceased now.
He then ripped the Pillar Box open with a Sledgehammer and killed the supply to the house and then proceeded to administer CPR.
I was responded there, because the Apprentice pulled all 3 Mains fuses in the box and cut power to 2 other houses.
Don't bag the guy for this, though, given the same situation, I'd do the same, Apprentice or not!.
The Electrician is still in hospital, but he is alive, thanks to his new employee.
I had a word to the young fella after the Ambulance left, he apologised profusely for breaking the Pillar box cover, I said that we had about a Million more in the Power Board store!, and not to worry too much about it.
I also gave him a big pat on the back for his actions and told him that all Electrical work is not like this and to encounter this in your first week, is really unusual.
He said he would stick at it, I said good on you mate.
I added that his Boss should get some better ladders, he agreed!. [Linked Image]
BTW, the Complaint has been lodged with the EWRB, as to the loose Mains, this guy is renowned for this sort of thing and I want him struck off the Register, It's not right if you can't Torque screws properly!. [Linked Image]
{Message edited to add last part [Linked Image]}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 10-31-2003).]

P
"Good on this guy" for having the presence of mind to cut the power by whatever means were at his disposal.

Trumpy Offline OP
I agree Paul,
But the Pillar boxes we have here are made to keep vandals out.
If you have to get into one of these things in a hurry, the Sledgehammer is the only real way.
We are supplied with special Security bits that fit into the chuck of your Cordless Drill, but these are only supplied to PoCo employees, to save tampering by errant Electricians, you can't open the box without them.
I've destroyed the odd Pillar box, in real haste to get a house disconnected, mind you, this was before the Natives realised what was happening, new lid on and I was off!. [Linked Image]

M
If you've been in the trades long enough you probably have a story like any of these. (One reason I gave up consturction for maintenance.) Tell the young guy that he deserves a pat on the back from all of us.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard