CLIFTON - A utility worker received second-degree burns and lost fingertips Tuesday after an extension cord he was holding brushed a high-power line, authorities said.

The 43-year-old Pennsylvania man sustained a powerful jolt while using an electric wrench to remove a metal plate on a 15-foot-high transformer at Mount Prospect and Van Houten avenues, officials said.

Judy Ohl, a spokeswoman for Public Service Electric and Gas Co., said the worker looped an extension cord away from him and into a 230,000-volt line at 9:48 a.m.

Note: To view the article, you'll need to register. Note that an e-mail address is not required:

Link to article...

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 05-04-2004).]