Girl electrocuted by illegal connection
August 26 2002 at 09:16AM

A nine-year-old girl was electrocuted in an informal settlement near Kempton Park on Sunday when she stepped on an exposed electrical cable, police said.

Captain Sophie Mayisela said the cable had been used for an illegal electrical connection from an Eskom distribution box to a nearby shack.

She said the girl was walking next to her shack when she stepped on the cable and received a powerful electrical shock. She was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Mayisela said Eskom would conduct an investigation into the incident and ascertain where the exposed cable had led to.

Based on that information the police would decide on further action. - Sapa