ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Is anybody here would like to share re: the regulations on installing the DB panel inside the mall in each tenant unit?(country: UAE)

Reviewman,
Welcome to ECN. [Linked Image]
Could you please be a bit more specific as to what you are trying to achieve.
I take it you are running Distribution Boards in a mall from a Main Board?.
Do you need help with wiring methods or metering options or protecting the DB's?.Please by all means, feel free to add to your original post, below.

{Edit: Which electrical regulations or standards are used in United Arab Emirates?.}

Mike. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-29-2006).]

R
Many thanks Trumpy for guiding me. Im working here in Dubai. I d like to elaborate this.
1. whether there is any requirement stated at the electrical regulations used here in DUbai that a DB has to place at what particular location of the mall? Is it at the front or at the back provided there is a service corridor at the back of the mall.

Reviewman,
We really need to know what sort of Regulations you are working under to give any sort of advice.
I work for a local Power Company here and we require that the Main Distribution Board be as close as possible to the incoming lines, Underground or Overhead.
One other question, what sort of voltage do you folks use there in the UAE?.
{In New Zealand here, it is a 400/230V LV system derived from an 11kV Delta HV system.}

I'm more than willing to help, but with such little information, what can we do?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-30-2006).]

R
thanks again, we used BS standards under the DEWA supervision, Im sorry i misleading you. brief explanation :
the tenant units (i.e retail, Food and Beverage,open cafe etc) inside a mall supplied by the DB three phase neutral panel, ranging from 60 A TPN to 800 A TPN, connected to an Isolator which is connected to MDB. I wish to know where to install the DBs within the tenant space base on the regulation.

R
we used here in dubai as same as your system - 400/230V LV system from 11KV delta
hv systems

Ok there Reviewman,
Do you have a real name like mine is Mike?
What you need to do is calculate the lengths of cable runs, based on the type of cable you are using, for the purposes of Voltage drop.
To each DB, there will be a length of cable, encompassing bends, I am assuming that these cables will be run in "free air" and not inside conduit, PVC or otherwise?.
I am also assuming that you use metric sizes of cable and wire sizes where you are. (ie: mm2)
That would make things a lot easier from this end.
My question in the first place is, what do you have available as far as current capacity of the Main Switchboard?, as in Amperes?, is it 3 Phase?.
Is this a new installation or an upgrade from what is already there, if so, what is the current connected load?.
How much load can you put on the current Power Company lines?.
How are these individual customers going to be metered for the use of thier power?.
Sorry about all the questions,but I work for a local Power Company and we like things to be all in order before we connect. [Linked Image]

R
Mike,
No. cable is routed inside a trunk. we used mm. You right,the capcity of DB is in three phase with Neutral and earth. this is a new project. all MEP systems are new. I understand that you wish to know all the parameters in this project, but the designer has provided an Isolator which is enough to supplied the power requirement of the tenancy unit. My problem is under DEWA regulations based on the BS Standards we have to installed it in places where the Municipal authority has an easy access for their inpection. Do you have any idea what particular location of tenancy unit inside mall shpould this DB to be instaled?
My friend told me it should be insatalled at the forefront or a the rear side of the tenant unit for easy access of the local authority. btw im arnold.

Link Copied to Clipboard