ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Swimming pool pump
by gfretwell - 04/01/23 02:57 PM
Using THWN on automotive circuits
by BigB - 03/23/23 11:19 AM
Continuous load
by HotLine1 - 03/08/23 02:11 PM
How's all our Non-US folks doing?
by dsk - 03/08/23 11:56 AM
Old Computers?
by Bill Addiss - 03/04/23 05:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
1 members (jtedson), 15 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14270 09/18/02 10:02 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 5
fibes Offline OP
Junior Member
I am a student at a technical school and hope to eventually become an apprentice and obtain an E2. I need to purchase a multimeter for school and don't know the first thing about them. I would like to purchase a unit that will be useful to me in the future, one that I will not outgrow. Can anyone please give me some recommendations on units that are reasonably priced, but have the kind of quality that I won't outgrow. I am not going to put down a price range because I really don't have one. I don't want to go overboard with this, but I want to be happy in the future. Thanks.

#14271 09/18/02 10:13 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 202
buy a fluke nobout the best

i have a fluke 87 III, it has about everything you will ever need, they cost between $350 to $400

i also have a greenlee voltage and continuity tester and a amp probe that has voltage, ohms and a clamp on amp meter i think it was a little over a $100 it would also suit you for a while i used mine for yrs before i got the fluke

i also have a fluke clamp on ampmeter that i paid about a $150 for and it comes in handy alot of times,

there are alot of meters on the market i always try to buy a fluke and remember if you are going to be doing this for a long time you might as well spend the money in the begining. look it up on the web you will find alot of sites and check around on prices sears also carries fluke and GB now along with craftsmen meters that aren't that expensive and look similar to flukes

[This message has been edited by jlhmaint (edited 09-18-2002).]

#14272 09/18/02 11:46 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 376
Depends on the use.My first meter was a fluke 12 with the V check option a great bench meter that has a clamp on attachment.I have three meters a fluke 36 clamp on good to 600 amps but only 200 ohm so its no good for coils or resistors but great for motors and switch gear.A t5 reads up to 200amps and 1000 ohms but again not enough for some coils,resistors.If your still new the fluke 12 will cover your butt in a 600v panel because of the Volt Check option and is good to 10,000 ohms.The only PITA is the clamp on part and the fact that it can pick ip induced voltages in long runs and lock you out of the OHMS scale.Cant win i guess?

#14273 09/19/02 12:12 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 111
Yep, get fluke. I have a T5-600(600 volts).
I like it because its small, and it holds one lead out for you so you can check with other lead. you can changeleads to alligator clips. its also auto ranging for AC/DC. not good for megging. I just scored a 1000V/10megohm crank type megger for $50 on D-bay (:O) ( hey, Im not advertising), I would check there for a good deal. I got a brand new fluke T5 for about $50

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
#14274 09/19/02 01:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 141

The Fluke 111 or 112. About $150. All the meter you'll need for a long time, and Fluke quality.


#14275 09/19/02 02:51 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,432
Likes: 3
Must endorse Sean's comments about the Fluke T5-600, I own one myself and I would not go to any job without it.
The current 'fork', makes all the difference and with it being a Fluke instrument, it has got to be good, with regard to safety.
But, what you should check when purchasing any test equipment, especially if you are using it to measure mains voltages, is the safety category, this is referenced to
IEC 1010 and is normally given as Cat I, Cat II or Cat III, the higher the better.
Also, the higher the input resistance of the meter, the better, as it will not "load" the circuit under test and give misleading results.
What is it that you want to use your meter for now(at the moment) and in the future?.

#14276 09/19/02 08:41 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 202

here is flukes web page if you click on model and specs for individual models it will give you a price if you don't see a model go to search and model you will find the T-5 that way also

#14277 09/19/02 09:14 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 218
Looks like the Flukes have it here but I use a Greenlee with the anolog display on top,catches quick events a DMM normally misses. Got it at Lowes for around $100 and it is Cat 2&3 rated. Can't remember the model number.

#14278 09/19/02 11:03 AM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 202

here is greenlee's site, spkjpr they do have some nice stuff one of my meters is a greenlee and i have the greenlee slug buster set also.

#14279 09/19/02 03:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 2,527
It is the same with Fluke and handheld multimeters. I've had one of the original 8020A models since 1979, and it still works fine, but have graduated to more sophisticated versions. Like Greenlee punches, they too are the absolute best hands down—end of story.

For use on power circuits, cheap imitations can be death traps. The intallation/overvoltage categrories in the IEC EN61010-1 standard are very serious business—to the point of saving tradesfolk from grisly deaths and injuries using portable electrical-measuring instruments around AC-power systems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Posts: 28
Joined: February 2011
Top Posters(30 Days)
jt7 3
BigB 3
Popular Topics(Views)
305,311 Are you busy
233,642 Re: Forum
218,289 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5