ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 422 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C-H Offline
Ragnar,

if this is a large 100L unit, the ceiling would have to be very high up. I find it more likely that Paul is right in that it is a smaller unit. Like Sven wrote, the water is probably fairly warm to start with, which reduced the amount of water you need to heat and store.

T
True, and 100l units aren't really required for a shower, maybe it's a 30l unit or something like that. The only time I remember seeing such a beast used much it was in a Hungarian castle that had ceilings close to 4m or maybe even higher, there it looked like that.

P
We used to have the really large electric "geysers" here years ago.

The house to which I moved as a kid around 1970 still had a lot of pre-WWII fittings in it, and there was one of these monsters over the tub in the bathroom.

I would guess it was around 25 Imperial gallons in capacity (about 30 U.S. gals. or 113 liters).

Sven,
That thing it's in now looks like a metal surface-mount "handy box" that is severely rusted.
I'd venture to say that that is a plastic mounting block, used to surface-mount the socket.
The discolourisation that you see on the block and cover is more than likely a build-up of mould.
Yuck!. [Linked Image]
However, the socket may well be out
of reach, but with India's record of typically poor installation methods, this could probably be called a Top-Dollar job!. [Linked Image]

Here's 2 pictures of Indian sockets that I found on the Net:

[Linked Image]

Strange looking animal!. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix up image tag}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 03-05-2004).]

S
Weird looking animal yes, but it's actually practical.

The left outlet can accept either 5 or 15 amp BS-546 plugs.

The right outlet is a "universal" and is commonly used in travel adapters.

You can connect:

American 15-amp (two or three pin)
Europlug,
Australian/Chinese/Argentinian,
BS-546 5-amp
BS-1363
Italian/Chilean 10-amp,
Swiss
probably also Israeli (haven't tried that last one)

I recognize that picture. It appears that the sockets were in a hotel....if so, it would make sense to put in such universal outlets so the user doesn't have to fiddle with dodgy adapters when connecting his dual-voltage appliance.

Wouldn't plugging an Argentinian plug into this socket be dangerous?.

S
Why? It's the same as the Australian one..except the polarity is reversed. And mains voltage in Argentina is 220-240 or something like that.

Polarity is not an issue really...unless you're EXTREMELY gung-ho on safety. [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline OP
I would think polaritiy in Aus/NZ/Argentine appliences is pretty much irrelivant as the vast majority of them are identical to European versions anyway and would be designed to ship with unpolarised Europlug / Schuko (CEE 7/7) and they would more than likely comply with the European low voltage directives etc.

Have NZ/Aus followed the Cenelec move to 230V ratings ?

P
The left outlet can accept either 5 or 15 amp BS-546 plugs.
Sorry Sven, but the dimensions aren't right for that, and the 15A BS546 plug has a much larger earth pin than the 5A.

This outlet looks like the type designed to accept a 3-pin 5A BS546 plug, or the 2-pin 5A version (the latter has the line/neutral pins slightly closer together than it's 3-pin variant).

I have a couple of old BS546 adapters that have the same arrangement.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard