ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 414 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
C-H Offline OP
Belgian,

I couldn't find a price for the product on the Niko site.

B
The flush mounted model costs 10.08 euro plus vat. The Not flush mounted one, is only for export, since the earth is for shucko plugs systems only, so I can't get the price. You could email niko. They are very helpfull. Ask Sven. He got free samples sent to him in the usa from niko!

[This message has been edited by Belgian (edited 02-27-2004).]

P
Sorry to be so late joining this thread. I had a busy day yesterday and didn't get time to post.

(Prices from a Polish manufacturer, in zloty. Just for a change )
According to the universal currency converter at www.xe.com the Zloty is worth about U.S. 25 cents at the moment, or around 0.20 Euro, so the whole assembly listed by C-H comes in at under $8.

As the others have mentioned, the integral switches with sockets here don't have separate terminals, and the modular fittings are much more expensive than the normal residential all-in-one devices.

It's possible to buy boxes which accept two regular single-gang devices side-by-side. however.

[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]

[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP636.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU9D25.html

From a U.K. perspective, I know that people would find it odd to have a socket next to a light switch. It's an arrangement I've seen in old stone houses in France (makes for easier wiring), and a lot of Brits just find it weird.

Although it's normal for lights to be wired on separate circuits here, there's no real reason why it's absolutely necessary, and in fact the IEE Regs. allow lights on a radial circuit of up to 15/16A.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-27-2004).]

C
C-H Offline OP
In Pauls second link there is the marketing depertments description of the plain white box:

Quality fit and style are the very essence of the new stylish range of Ultimate range of white wall wiring accessories. Combining the very latest design aesthetics, with many time saving, practical features for the installer.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
I've noticed fuses on some old French sockets and light switches. Like a small circular plastic disk that screws out on the switch plate.

Why were they used?

On the seperate plates issue in the UK/Ireland it's also better that the lights don't go out when you plug in a kettle or an an iron with damp contacts [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 02-27-2004).]

C
C-H Offline OP
I won't argue that an individual circuit for each socket would be better, but the improvement has to be compared to the cost. I blow a fuse every two years. (No metaphor intended [Linked Image] ) Many houses have probably never had a fuse blow or breaker trip. Blackouts are more common.

D
djk Offline
I've rarely blown a fuse or tripped an MCB but have definitely tripped an RCD due to a minor ground fault due to a wet kettle or iron [Linked Image]

Djk,
Usually in behind the switches that I posted
the single switch is fed from a totally seperate circuit, as in the case where the single switch is used to switch a Lighting circuit.
But, there is a un-written rule here, with things like this, where you could have 2 seperate phases (400V) inside the one flushbox, that you should mark the plate (under the cover) accordingly.
A lot of people have been caught out like this, especially when a nicked 1mm wire breaks behind the switch, when the plate is removed. [Linked Image]

:
combined switch&outlet is very usual german style. normally in every room of a house right next to the entrance door there's a multiple frame with one or more switches and belwo one or more outlets. years ao the switch was at at about 3.5ft from ground and the outlet was below at 1ft from ground.

later they got combined, i guess so you dont have to go that far down for plugging sth.

i only found this one pic, thats an older switch style from the 80s

[Linked Image from cityinfonetz.de]

the wall boxes are all same sized, and most switch/outlet combinations are universal sized for the frames. so you can put a receptacle, a single or double switch and so on anywhere into the frame and in every right angled rotation.

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 02-28-2004).]

P
On the seperate plates issue in the UK/Ireland it's also better that the lights don't go out when you plug in a kettle or an an iron with damp contacts

That's true, but unfortunately so many houses here have only a single RCD feeding the whole installation that it happens anyway.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard