ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 195 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Caper:

I have over 2000 floppies, and will convert them soon. I am sure I have some of the threads you wrote, including the list of violations.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
M
In my part of the world (SE Texas) one of the most notorious things I see is the flying splice. Many homes in this area are owned or rented by very financially-strapped people. They quite simply don't have the money for a decent electrical installation, nor are the owners willing to provide it...not a good situation at all. These are the kind of homes where a small 30a. safety switch (usually 120v, sometimes 240v)serves an entire residence. On occasion, you will also see an extension cord feeding a house next door for want of their own service due to non-payment. Almost without exception, the fuses are 30's, occasionally with a slug behind it. Makes for some really bad middle of the night electrical fires here. [Linked Image]

I don't sleep very well some nights after going on fire calls like these...

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 09-14-2002).]

N
Mike
You can only try to educate people in how electrical systems work and what is needed to be safe. You can NOT keep them from making foolish mistakes - especally when the think they saved a nickle or dime.
DIY'ers and those who are determined to save every penny will be the cause of many electrical fires. They always have been and this will not change. They will not pay for a professional installation, any additional cost safety item such as AFCI's unless forced to.
You cannot let the results of thier actions bother you - even when you see others hurt by thier cost savings.
If possible the only thing you can do is try to see them forced to pay extreamly heavily for that action. Personally I believe that those responsible should face both civil AND criminal penalties.
If our AHJ's and DA's get off thier duffs and work for this, maybe we will see fewer electrical fires.
Since these individuals will not pay for more costly and (maybe) safer technology any new safety items will never help with this part of electrical work.
DIY'ers will always be with us. Joe fly by night with his line of B/S will always find suckers.
I would say that 25 to 35% of the jobs I do are fixing thier junk. Just give you customers a fair price and go foward. You can go nuts trying to save your town let alone the world.

ed
You can go nuts trying to save your town let alone the world.

I need to start repeating that as my mantra...

"Ohm" [Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
H
Joe,

If you can't find the top ten list, then I guess I can always make another one. Also as I had posted somewhere else (another bb or post?) I said the worst thing a DIY can do is NOT call for an inspection. If he calls for an inspection, I can usually help him get through the inspection. I may have to go back more than once for a rough in inspection, but it can be done.

S

Thanks Sparky, I was planning on adding that link so we could use it too as a resource.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-21-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard